Coral Vue Hydros

pygmy octopus

nana_nana_nano

nana_nana_nano

im thinking of setting up a 5g with just live rock, live sand and a pygmy octopus ( octopus joubini )

and for filtration a canister filter. what do you think...feasible? i just want to find one under $70

im thinking of setting up a 5g with just live rock, live sand and a pygmy octopus ( octopus joubini )

and for filtration a canister filter. what do you think...feasible? i just want to find one under $70

do these kinds of octopus grow big? if they do...probably not...and...you might have a hard time keeping him inside the tanks...their great escape artist...

nana_nana_nano

they usually max out with a leg span of three inches, and i work with a few octopus at work so i am going to use the same method of securing the lid on my tank

Don't they eat a lot? Wouldn't that cause water quality issues in a 5 gallon? I dunno much about it, but that just sounds too small to me.

controlsreefer

i have one in my 240 reef tank they like to move around quite a bit and the water has to be pretty good but it is do able just watch the temperture in you tank and give it fresh food (alive if possible, no crabs) change water weekly 20-30% and they are very proned to stress death and color loss

here is were i got mine

http://www.gulfspecimen.org/Octopus.html

nana_nana_nano

in response to the filtration, thats why i am using a fairly large canister filter on the tank, i believe its rated for a 60g tank. if it is too small of a tank it just gives me an excuse to get another tank, i can just use the 5g as a fry grow out tank for my clowns.

nana_nana_nano

controlsreefer, how often do you see your octopus in a tank that size? i was thinking about putting one in my 14g BC but i don't know how it would do with clowns, a neon dottyback and corals. and i definiterly would hate for him to eat my blood red shrimp

controlsreefer
controlsreefer, how often do you see your octopus in a tank that size? i was thinking about putting one in my 14g BC but i don't know how it would do with clowns, a neon dottyback and corals. and i definiterly would hate for him to eat my blood red shrimp

well they are mostl,y nocturnal but i see mine once in a while but dont keep anything that is small enough for it to kill because it will so do not put in a commuity tank because it will eat all you small fish even if they are larger than it self. they love small crabs, fish, snails. my 240 is a ocean tank with minly mid to large inhabaits like coral cat's, cortez ray, puffers and wobegon shark, peacoak flounder,trumpetfish, spadefish, spotted moray , great barracuda and spotted drum with some corals

so if you are going to get one make it like a mantis shrimp tank you can put corals in there and hardy clean up crew like queen conch sea cucumber and uncins

i have 3 by my last count in my tank i had one die about 1 year and half back. they make little dens under rocks so you dont see them during the day

nana_nana_nano

ok thats a good idea, a frag/octopus tank. i will probably add a bunch of snails for a clean up crew and a small urchin from work. i may even toss in a few blue leg hermits once in a while as a treat. im excited about doing this project now.

• 2 weeks later...
ok thats a good idea, a frag/octopus tank. i will probably add a bunch of snails for a clean up crew and a small urchin from work. i may even toss in a few blue leg hermits once in a while as a treat. im excited about doing this project now.

I dont know much about diff types of octopus but if your going to get the dwarf type often caught at Key west Miami they kill even snails.

my uncle had one they are sold in local mom/pop live rock shops there think most come in the rocks. Either way his was no problem he saw it lots but it killed all the snails . I do know it never escaped he had it for months it was doing great than slowed down and passed away .

It was only thing in his 10 gallon tank and live rock temp was like 75 maybe it was to cool who knows but it did great till it stopped eating for no reason than faded color look and died. Overall think it was boring (for me anyway as I like fish)

Please do not listen to controlsreefer. It's highly unlikely that he/she has a 240 tank with octopi and those other fish (as if 240 gallon aquariums could house a 10-ft wobbegong shark). Look at this thread for proof:

http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?...t&p=1469705

maybe he has a baby shark? I saw a baby nurse shark common nurse shark that gets very big for sale at a pet store and have seen lemon sharks they were all babies .

They were kept in a 125 long by babies I mean 2 feet long more or less . I was suprised that anyone would consider buying them

maybe he has a baby shark? I saw a baby nurse shark common nurse shark that gets very big for sale at a pet store and have seen lemon sharks they were all babies .

They were kept in a 125 long by babies I mean 2 feet long more or less . I was suprised that anyone would consider buying them

Actually I think the point is more that he lied about what tank he had so everything else he talks about is suspect as opposed to the size of the fish.

I too have seen odd types of sharks for sale at a LFS near me. I asked the owner about it and was told they were a 'special order' for someone with allot more money than brains who had a really really big tank who wanted to do sharks for some dumbarse reason.

UH

Totally not the point. Check the link if your not convinced he is FOS. If it wasn't for the fact that scarfish already called it bunk I would demand pics of both the shark and the barracuda......total BS.

My suggestion, read everything you can on a cephalopod webite then if you think you can do it......do it.

Actually I think the point is more that he lied about what tank he had so everything else he talks about is suspect as opposed to the size of the fish.

I too have seen odd types of sharks for sale at a LFS near me. I asked the owner about it and was told they were a 'special order' for someone with allot more money than brains who had a really really big tank who wanted to do sharks for some dumbarse reason.

UH

I see . The 2 lemon sharks were non stop zipping around the tank while the 1 nurse shark was just laying on the sand .

I found the lemon sharks very interesting though imagine you need a tank of thousands of gallons

Archived