Coral Vue Hydros

OK, how about this, is it an anenome? And this weird white thing?

mane3215

I woke up this morning and seen this red thing, I dont think I would have missed it before. I have had my tank setup for about a week now. Also this weird white thing that is like built into my live rock. It has a small hole on the side, and the other day it looked like it was spitting sand out of it. What is it?

Whitething%20copy.jpgredthing.jpg

BlackSumbel

The white thing looks to be some kind of sea squirt or tunicate. THe red thing looks like a blossom of macro-algae (gracillara?), or some kind of polyp. Aptasia look alot different (less "plump") so it's probably not Aptasia, other than that, no idea.

• 5 weeks later...

Wow, old thread =). That red thing has about quadroupled in size. I will try and get some pics later to show the increased size. Does look kind of similiar to what is in that link you posted.

• 2 weeks later...

im not sure about the first pic but the 2nd one could be a foraminferin a harmless filter feeder they move but very very slowly where you wouldnt notice it right away

foramred.jpg

These are probably foraminiferans. These little creatures are basically shelled protozoans, one celled organisms (Subphylum: Sarcodina - the amoebas). They form shells primarily composed of calcareous material, with siliceous material from sponges, or other organic material. They are mostly sessile (non-moving), but can move with the use of temporary structure called a "pseudopodia". This little "arm" reaches out and pulls the rest of the critter along. In any event, they are harmless bacterial/detrital consumers. There are many different shell shapes and colors that these guys may have, see more forams

The second pic is either a tiny rose anenome. ( inwhich cae you are the luckiest human alive! They are SUPER EXPENSVIE!!!!) OR.it is a small hairy shroom . ( oragne body with green/white tipped tonga shroom) could also be a condacylus anenome. Definately not a form of macro algea though. Whatyouare describing as white andwith a small hole spiting outsand is a bi-valve (Clam) and the polyp looking thing with the snail like shel looking thing on it in the first pick is arock anenome but not anaptasia. ( they are harmless.) The third pic isnt macro algea either it is a colony of common small red sponge.

Archived