inTank Media Baskets

Can a Serpent Star Eat a Clownfish??

el_dante

Early morning, I found my Perc Clown underneath my red serpent star. I'm not sure if the Perc died and then the Star nabbed him, or the Serpent Star made an attack. All my parameters are fine. Can a Red Serpent Star do this??

Thanks

Red and green surpents have been knowing to kill and eat fish.. all stars will feed on dead fish..

Really the only from what understand are save surpents would be the Black ones, or the Brittle stars..

I've seen both happen. If a clown tends to be "sleeping" around at night when a serpant to cruising they can get eaten. Usually, however, the clown dies first then gets eaten.

Cameron

I think that's what had to happen. At night, the clown usually hung out in the back bottom corner, and I guess the star took advantage when the lights were out. That actually would have been really interesting to see. I can't imagine how a serpent star launches itself at a fast swimming clown. I guess before I get another clown, I should get rid of the killer serpent.

Originally posted by el_dante

I guess before I get another clown, I should get rid of the killer serpent.

You could do that or you could give him a little food periodically. They only tend to get aggressive with fish when they are more hungry than normal:P

Cameron

Well mine's munchin' on a clown goby right now... I doubt he caught him though, I say he died of heat exaustion first. It's a bit hot around here right now. But anyhow.... I usually break up a sinking shrimp pellet and and feed all the little critters, everyone grabs a piece including the serpent. He usually get the 3rd piece right after sally, and CB get theirs. They're a bit faster although you'd be surprised how fast the serpant can move. They also enjoy tid-bits of uncooked shrimp. I put it on a BBQ skewer(sp?) and feed everyone individualy so there is no fighting.

WARNING

Green Brittle Stars will eat fish!!!

I went out of town this weekend and got back Mon. and no Pigmey angle :( He has been doing quite well.(was in LFS for 1 month) so I was confused what happened. I came back with a new tankmate a sixline wrase :happy: He fit in well up and swimming through the rocks and ate that night. :) Well I got home from work yesterday and he was missing. Then I see my starfish all puffed up under the rocks. : Guess what he ate my angle and sixline that is $50 down the tube. :angry: It's not that the money bothered me, but that he ate 2 awesome fish:*(

So Buyer Beware!!!!!

Have to parrot what Bain just wrote. I watched a rather large green brittle attack a pink skunk clown and took it down. My roommate and I both walked around the corner at about the same time and there it was, chewing on him. That was about the same day that my roomate took the brittle star back to the LFS and bought a maroon clown.

They will attack fish from time to time. A friend of mine in Lansing, MI, told me about the time that his brittle took down a Sailfin Tang that was about the size of a personal pan pizza. Big fish. Got it trapped in the corner and killed it.

So...moral of the story...keep an eye on your brittle stars.

Ok just thought I share my info. My perc was about 1.5 inch long and the starfish was about 1.5 in long in diameter...last week a weak 1 in. long sick perc went missing person, then this week, another missing perc. I search everywhere in the 4.6 gallons tank and turn everything upside down and still could not see a single flesh or skeleton (both of these were within 3-4 hours later of last seen). There was a cleaner shrimp but his body is almost see through so that rule out...the others are the hermit and a snail so those get rule out too. Last is the pump, but I pulled it up and didn't see it anything there either or within the filters. So it looks like the culprit to the missing fish is the brittle serpent starfish.

Archived