Innovative Marine Aquariums

Protein Skimmer

Flipturn88

Flipturn88

I Finally found the tank I want to get. It is a 25-gal eclipse. The only problem is the hood would not allow me to put a protein skimmer on the back (or anywhere else, for that matter). That would not be an issue if I can get the reassurance that they are not needed for a tank of that size. I really want what will be the best for my tank in the long run. Here are some helpful facts to keep in mind:

I am planning on adding (not all at once--over a LONG span of time. This is just for future reference...) 2 ocellaris clowns, 1 royal gramma, and 1 coral beauty angelfish. Plus, the cleanup crew which would probably be a few cleaner shrimps and maybe some snails. Is that too much?

I also will want to add corals in the future.

Thank you for your help,

Kayla

Well, an eclipse hood would not be adequate light if you want corals, I have the exact hood you are talking about on one of my freshwater tanks, and it has 2 15watt bulb flourescent fixtures, not much and although I'm pretty new to this, that is not enough for any coral. Also, the eclipse hoods have a biological filter, which would be a waste to buy if you want to have the berlin method be your primary method of filtration. You might as well get your skimmer because that hood probably wouldnt work unless you are going to soup it up or somthing anyway. Maybie get one of those PC shoplight things that hangs over the tank, I dunno.

Flipturn88

I was going to upgrade the lighting to PC or VHO when I wanted to add coral. Is that a smart option? And I still need your opinions on the protein skimmers... sorry, I have read conflicting reports on them and I need to know why they are or aren't a good idea.

Thanks again,

Kayla

Archived