Cultivated Reef

Lighting on a 10G Hex?

Reef-N-Chicago

Reef-N-Chicago

Hi, I am new to nano reefing and was wondering about my lighting. I have three 13 Watt power compact lights from AH supply. Two 10,000K and one atinic. Will this be enough lighting for moderate corals or should I add another one or two lights? Also, if I did add more should the bulbs be atinic,10,000, or a combo? I had to go with 13W because the tank is a hex and there is not much room on top. One last, question>while cycling should I conduct water changes? I have heard mixed thoughts. Thanks in advance!

bump

i would consider that lighting on the low side assuming you're going to use all levels of the hex (i.e. not just perch the corals and stuff at the top or bottom or middle). you can start out with that level and determine what you can fit into that light scheme tho. that's the issue with nanos is the lack of space to fit in more light to upgrade (w/o going to mh's that is).

wc's during cycling...i used to side with those that don't do them during the cycle but i had an interesting conversation with another board member that has me thinking the other way now. the gist of it is: less trauma (i.e. wc's during the cycle) allows a greater diversity of hitchhiking fauna to survive. bio-diversity is a key issue with me so he had me dead-to-rights with his argument.

upshot is that i would recommend wc's during the cycle but not greater than 50% changes, if even that. the goal of the cycle is still to cultivate viable colonies of bene bacteria.

Reef-N-Chicago

Thanks for your reply. I can decide what kind of lighting I need as I go. (just want to do the best thing) Also, thanks for the WC info.

Archived