SaltCritters.com

how come my pH is low?

MichelleChang

MichelleChang

hello! this is my first post! it is such a nice forum!

i have learned a lot about saltwater tank and started a 10g reef in my dorm couple months ago, i have live rock, live sand, and a couple mushrooms right now.

i have been dosing liquid calcium and such, but the coraline alage doesn't seem to grow, the LFS guy told me it is the pH, so i checked and it is around 8.0 instead of 8.2 or some level he suggested. can someone tell me what i will need to do? thank you very much! :)

Rather than go into a ridiculously long post on pH, alkalinity, and calcium, and how they all affect each other. I'm just going to throw you a link that kind of explains it. There are also links off this link that explain it in much further detail. Give it a read and get your learn on.

Good luck;) pH,alkalinity, and calcium

reading's fundamental ;)

i would also suggest to get some buffers (e.g. AP's Proper pH 8.2 easy enough to use and remember). what are you dosing? sounds like kent's liquid calcium only. you do need to balance with a carbonate C03- (besides borate and others too) buffer in order to create the CaCO3 coral/line skeletons. a 2-part additive like B-Ionic is very good (or wc's if dosing is too worrisome altho that method would depend on the quality and quantity of the salt & wc's).

also think about your Mg levels if your coralline still doesn't take off.

the ecosystem we are trying to build needs a balance of elements, chemicals, and nutrients that are typically provided by the tide. we need to take over that role and in order to adequately perform that role we should (need) to understand the needs of the system and inhabitants in order to meet it. (hence the read 1st suggestion) hth

Archived