Pod Your Reef

Which brands are recommended?

johnsmb

I am still working on my list of equipment to purchase - I want to make sure I get it right. I am looking at starting a 20 G high and would eventually like some of the hardier corals, mushrooms, shrimp, snails, ect, as well as 2 to 4 small passive fish.

I am thinking of a 2 X 65 PC light. Is the CoraLife Aqualight a reliable brand? I saw it online for only $99 plus additional shipping, this seemed like a good deal. The JBJ brand is about $40 or more than the Aqualight, so I think I would prefer the Aqualight. If this brand is not so great, do you have others to recommend.

For powerhead, it seems that maxijet is a good type. But then I saw the Power Sweep powerhead that rotates. Would that be beneficial so I don't end up with dead/stagnate areas?

Finally, I think I will go with a 75 watt ebo jager heater and an Aquaclear 300 - this will be mainly for more water movement, but I also want to have the option to do extra filtration if necessary.

Oh, I am also planning on 20 to 25 pounds of liverock and some live sand to seed the sand base, too.

thanks for any help.

if you can you may want to add another bulb becuase of the height issue. other than that sounds good. i only say add the other bulb becuase that would assure that you could keep almost any coral you'd want to keep. (you say hardy now, but plans will change. trust me.) ;)

I started my 20H about a year ago, so I'll tell you what I bought, what I've upgraded to, and what I wish I did. I started with:

2x55 pcs

75watt heater

millenium 1000 filter

2 minijets+1 rio 90

I then added a cpr skimmer, replaced the filter with a 3gal HOB refuge.Added a 12"spray bar to a pump along the back of the reef. Added an in line chiller, pulled out the minijets and added a spraybar to the return from the chiller.Some people say the spraybars are a pain in the ass because they clog. But, you just make the bar with a piece of 65cent pvc from home depot. When you make it, make two or three, so when it clogs instead of trying to clean out the tiny holes, just screw in the new one.

You can keep a lot of cool corals under the pcs your getting, and I thought I would be fine with that, but now I wished I waited a little longer last year and got metal halide. after a while you will want to try a clam or some sps. So, If I were to do it all again, I would have bought 175watt MH, maybe even a 250watt, with two VHOs. I wouldv'e got the refuge instead of the filter, and I would have shopped a lot more on ebay. The price differences on some items are incredible.

Good Luck;)

Thanks for all the advice. I especially agree with shopping online. I have only been reading and researching equipment and prices for a weeks, but the prices at the lfs and even at the big chain pet stores are ridiculous!!!! Prices are soooo much cheaper online, even with shipping charges. The best places I have found for equipment is Ebay and BigAlsOnline. Does anyone else know of any others?

I have the 2x 65watt aqualight. Its a good light, but I wish I had saved another 20 bucks to get a hellolight Mh and VHO kit. I really want to get a clam, and although it can be done with PC's, I don't want to risk throwing my money away.

Get a MH now so you have the vesatility later.

look up a user named Lunchbucket. He has a website that shows his awsome 20gallon.

Cal3v also has a beautiful tank, so you could look at there's for ideas.

Archived