ReefCleaners.org

Nano-reefers help to save Western Australia's Ningaloo Reef

Pikelet

Several nanoreefers posted online letters to the Premier of Western Australia in an effort to conserve the longest pristine stretch of fringing reef in the world - Ningaloo Reef, Western Australia.

Your efforts along with thousands of other Western Australians have helped to prevent trashy tourism development from destroying the reef and the surrounding land. Here is a copy of the letter I received from the Premier of Western Australia ...

Ningaloo Reef is one of the world’s great natural wonders.  

Today I announced that plans for a resort-style marina development at Maud’s Landing have been rejected.  

It is our responsibility to protect the Ningaloo Coast for future generations.  We must now ensure people from all over the world are able to enjoy the area without damaging it.  Soon I will be releasing a land use and tourism plan for the coast and will ask you for your views.

My decision to reject the resort development was made following EPA advice that the “environmental risks and management needs for the proposal have not been demonstrated to be environmentally acceptable”.  

I believe the 280km coral reef is an environmental icon of state, national and international significance and I will now fast-track a push for it to be granted World Heritage status.  

The WA Government is committed to the protection and proper management of the Ningaloo Coast and we are considering a range of future management structures, including the creation of a new body along the lines of the Great Barrier Reef Marine Park Authority or the Rottnest Island Authority.  

We are also considering extending the current marine park’s boundaries.  

I will soon email you more information about how you can have your say on the future management of this spectacular area.  

Yours sincerely

Dr Geoff Gallop MLA

Premier of Western Australia

Thanks to all nanoreefers for your support. For more information on the Ningaloo Reef click here

Archived