Cultivated Reef

Clwn ID?

TiGs

Can anyone tell me if I got an A. ocellaris or A. percula. I counted 9 spines so that would lead me to believe it's a precula. What do you people think?

9 spines would indicate an ocellaris, if I am not mistaken. Increasing black pigmentation would indicate a percula, if that is what it is

Thanks for your concern. I don't think the fish is sick. I read several post regarding these black splotches and from what I recall it has nothing to do with disease. Let me look up the posts regarding these sploctches and clown fishes.

Anyways the fish is fine and seems very happy, always hungry and no unusual behavior to make me think it is sick.

She was sold to me as an ORA ocellaris tank raised, when I counted the spines it raised the question.

Tig I think the coloration is normal, but that fish looks skinny. Get some good frozen food to fatten it up. I have a Perc that is mostly black.....I wonder if your's is turning black?

You can go by spines, but the best method is going by how thick the black bands are on the body. Thinner is False Ocellaris Thicker is a True Percula, if I got the names right :)

AbSoluTc is correct, its a ocellaris, percs have wider black margin before the white band.

It's likely his black patches are a result of v/high nitrates or stress, several mates have experieced these marks on their clowns and when their water quality improved the patches faded away, i did read somthing similar somewhere too.

Just pamper the guy, he'll PERC up!:P

Right on people, thanks.

I tested my water and nitrates, ammonia, nitrite are at zero. I do weekly 10% water change. I don't know what the clwn can be stressed from since she is the only fish inhabitant, plus she gets fed a light breakfeast and a decent dinner. I usually feed flake food for breakfeast and rotate flake with frozen mysid shrimp every other 2 days for dinner.

I agree my clwn does look a little on the thin side, but can you blame her? With all the super models being thin, she just wants to fit in :D .

Archived