Top Shelf Aquatics

Yet another fan/cooling question.

Wasabi

I'm setting up an Eclipse 5 gallon hex tank(after a year of just looking at the parts laying around!). I have two hellolight 13 watt pc's mounted in the hood. I haven't added water yet but just to check the temp I put a thermometer in the tank with the lights on. The temperature has gone from 78F(lights off) to 87F(lights on for a few hours). Will the temperature stabilize more after adding water? I'll be adding a HOB. Will this help cool/stabilize the temperature? I'm also going to drill a few more holes in top of the hood and add a fan. Will all of this give me a good enough lower, stable temperature or will a chiller be needed? Thanks for any input,

Scott

Your not going to really know what you will need until you get some water in the tank and get it up and running. I would definitely add a fan to the hood if it is possible, this will certainly help. Just set it up like an exhaust fan blowing out. This will also help improve the lifespan of your light bulbs. So get some water in there and slap on a fan, let it run for a few days and see what the temp is. It may be good enough. If not we'll take it from there.

Graywolf57

I agree with Raise, the fan blowing in actually seems to work better at lowering the temp. A lot of factors can change that such as hood construction etc. Additionally, the fan acting as an exaust will be pulling damp warm air past the fan motor which may cause it to fail sooner. my 2 cents

Thanks for the replies everyone,

I put some water(fresh) in right after I posted that just to see how much that would bring the temp down. The highest it's been now in the last 7 hours is 82.4F. I'm not sure how low it will go after I turn out the lights yet but I assume around 77-78F which is where my 58g freshwater tank is without the PC's on. I haven't got my Aquaclear 150 yet to see how much that will help. Hopefully, the movement and the open top of the Aquaclear will drop it another 1 degree. I'm still going to add a fan to blow cooler air in towards the open back top so I think I'll be alright. In fact, I may be able to hold 78-80F consistently. Thanks again for all the advice everyone,

Scott

i hold a constant 83 degrees with no fan on my tank. if you can do it with out a fan, the better you evap will be.

Thanks offsprg01,

Maybe my HOB will drop the temp another .5-1 degree. If the tank then has a temp range of 4 degrees in a day, will that still be OK? If not, I can just add a heater to bring up the low end to where it is when the lights are on. Isn't 81+F still a little too warm though?

Scott

Evaporation is GOOD though.... maybe a pain in the ass to compensate for sometimes but gas exchange/evap is :)

Archived