Innovative Marine Aquariums

after the lights go out....

skeletor

last night I just happened to be walking past my tank, after the lights were out, and noticed one of the peppermint shrimp swimming the length of the tank upside down, releasing hundreds of baby shrimps into the tank. I quickly turned off the skimmer and ph's and took a few snaps of the happy occasion. The fish loved it, and so did the CBS. I stuck my ghetto LED moonlight on the side of the tank and they all swam towards it, which just seemed to make it easier for the CBS to eat them. Anyway, here are a couple of pics of this amazing event. Sometimes you just get lucky.

-skeletor-

shrimpspawn3.jpg

shrimpspawn2.jpg

shrimpspawn1.jpg

Thats crazy neat pic

What do you think the survival rate of these baby shrimps in a nano if there is no mechanical filtration?

survival rate is zero, but, it's the other animals in the tank who are responsable for that. even with no mechanical filtration you still have to get them away from preditors.

the peps have eggs every couple of weeks but I've never seen them drop babies before.

talk about a cool tank creature, not only did they eat all the aiptasia but now they feed the fish for me too :-)

-skeletor-

my girlfriends peps are always releasing babies. its cool to watch. one time her cleaner shrimp released babies and we tried to raise them. i scooped them up and put them in a five gallon tank with an airstone. i was hatching brine shrimp for them to eat and they actually survived for 3 weeks. they tripled in size and were turning red then one day they all died. i guess they are pretty hard to raise to adulthood. the peppermints are supposed to be easier though.

mxpro... I'm interested in how you set up the 5 gal tank. Was it newly set up? Had it cycled? Was it fresh/salt water?

Seems strange that they all died at the 3 week mark... leads one to believe it was some environmental factor.

I'm asking because I'm interested in trying to raise some peps myself.

BTW, did you know Ken Park?;)

Noel

Archived