Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Hanging Reef Tank plans

Mnesarchus

Mnesarchus

I have a plan to build a hanging 50g reef tank. A stainless steel structure capable of holding 500+ lbs of weight stands above the surface of the open tank. Attatched to it is 8 3/4" by 6" stainless steel grade one bolts that are anchored into the live rock at the surface. The LR could not touch the glass on any of the sides. The rock forms one large cave basically.

Light is provided by a 400w 20000k Metal Halide lamp at the opposite side of the tank, with a special reflector designed to point all the light at the open spot in the tank. This would create a beautiul and lifelike serene environment.

The sump or fuge would empy at the side nearest to the MH and would be spit back out via pump on top of the suspended rock, creating a tide-ish effect. Any comments?

there's a tank sort of like that at the birch aquarium, although the overhanging rocks are fake. it makes a cool cave for stuff like lobsters/shrimp etc. positioning powerheads so that you get decent water movement might be a problem.

-skeletor-

looks awesome! B)

nilsen and fossa's aquascaping section has some ideas you might want to look over. (dug out my book because of the urethane foam thread) you might want to look into that foam to fill in any gaps or lessen the overall weight.

i like the angled light concept. very few reefers do that, if at all. are you going to have the sump return on a wave device for the surges/tides or just free flow?

you might want to marine primer and paint the stainless just to be sure. good luck and post time pics!

much sweetness B)

you sure the weight of the rock can be supported by...well waht ever you're gonna hang it with? i'd try and make fake hollow rock. it's would be much lghter. then you could use lr just on the bottom of the tank to help seed the fake lr at the top.

Originally posted by AbSoluTc

Looks like SHIAT with a capital SSSSS!  Dumbass

? ???

Anyhow, I like it. That'll will be incredible when you get it running. Please keep us up to date:D

Cameron

I was just kidding. I am curious as to how and what this is for. I do understand your theory, but I don't understand the "frame" that is going around it.

Care to elaborate on that please?

Thanks;)

Mnesarchus
Originally posted by AbSoluTc

I was just kidding.  I am curious as to how and what this is for.  I do understand your theory, but I don't understand the "frame" that is going around it.

Care to elaborate on that please?

Thanks;)

Just because we disagree in the lounge doesn't mean you have to be an ass.

It would be awesome to have a big hanging tank, like a 125.

Im sure it could be done, but at great costs...

I was contemplating on ideas for when I build a house..

1) A room which has one big long tank built into the wall, going all around the room

and now

2) A hanging reef tank. If done right it COULD be the coolest thing ever.

Archived