Top Shelf Aquatics

Help with My Solana

tkdwoody

hello all,

I have set up my first reef tank ever and have several thousand questions. It's been running for about three weeks.

I have the tank, and all its supplied contents in good working order. I purchased the Sunpod with the 12 LED moonlight feature. I have about 15 lbs of sugar sand beneath 15 lbs of coarse sand. I also have thirty pounds of live rock. The temp fluctuates between 78 and 81.7 degrees depending on whether the metal halide is on or not. The ph has been consistent at about 8.2-8.4. I have placed a koralia nano pump in the back center of the tank near the top and have adjusted the output flows. I shortened one tube and have it bent back into the right corner and lengthened the other tube so that it flows to the left corner. I feel I have eliminated dead spots. Do I need another pump in there or is this enough circulation for my future corals?

Here are some of my questions.

LIGHT

The sunpod comes with a 150watt metal halide bulb as well as 6 white and 6 blue LED lights. I have the metal halide on a timer which begins at 8am and ends at 430pm. The blue LEDs come on from 6am-8am and from 4pm to 6pm. The white LEDs come on from 7-9am and again from 3-5pm. Do the LED's matter?

Is the light that I have enough to have hard and soft corals as well as some inverts? I would like a crocea clam or two and possibly an anenome. I am hoping to have it be all reef. Is the 150watt metal halide light that I have enough to do this or should I add a second light strip with actinics?

ALGAE

A few days ago I noticed some green/brown powder-like material form over several pieces of liverock. It has continued to cover the sand bed and now seems to be clouding the glass at the bed. It is green/brown in color I have purchased two snails and two hermit crabs. It appears that there is more algae than the two of them could ever eat in there. I believe I need more of them. How much is too much? I don't want algae, but I don't want them to starve to death either. What and how many of what do I need? I would love a lettuce leaf slug. Can I have one? Will there be a consistent supply of food for them?

I'm getting contradicting answers from different store owners who have different beliefs on how to run a tank. I've tried to use what both have told me but I'm confused. Please help.

post-33772-1200535984_thumb.jpg

post-33772-1200536009_thumb.jpg

Archived