Coral Vue Hydros

Need ideas for large tank!

azboostin

I got the go ahead to do an inwall tank starting next month.. Anyways im trying to write everything on paper first.... but first thing is first... I need to know how much I can find a main tank for I am not even sure on how many gallon just the size..... I am going to go with 84 or 96" long,,, and I like somthing about 30" tall and 18-20" wide.... im guessing that is around 2-300 gallons? Anyways this should be fun and I cant wait to get started.... Hoping I can find a pre drilled tank so I dont have to use a HOB overflow... The room the tank will be in is 12'x7' ish so Im going to have to use space wisely

the room is on a concrete slab so no worries there...

For lighting I will be using 3x400watt metal halide... if this is enough for a 30ish deep tank

Sump I will be using my current 55g...

200ish lbs fiji, the rest will be lace rock

custom skimmer in sump

ro/di unit built in the room.

sink built in the room...

ect ect

give me some ideas... will take all opinions

just get a 180 or a 220, anything custom costs lots more.

also call around and be patient, you can find a good deal of craigslist or wait till something goes on sale at the lfs. I got my Oceanic Starphire for 450, so be patient

another option is glasscages.com . I hear mixed reviews on the other forum, but people I know that got tanks from them love them. They seem to have great prices and also routinely make it around the country to shows to deliver. Just rent/borrow a truck and a lot of friends and go get it. the craigslist option is great too. I got my 75 off of CL for a steal.

another option is glasscages.com . I hear mixed reviews on the other forum, but people I know that got tanks from them love them. They seem to have great prices and also routinely make it around the country to shows to deliver. Just rent/borrow a truck and a lot of friends and go get it. the craigslist option is great too. I got my 75 off of CL for a steal.

i would NOT deal with glasscages.com. too many bad reviews about their customer service.

i would NOT deal with glasscages.com. too many bad reviews about their customer service.

I've heard bad things online, but the people that get them locally (raleigh, nc) when they come through with these shows seem to love them. just an idea, but I still think craigslist is the best idea for the money.

I've heard bad things online, but the people that get them locally (raleigh, nc) when they come through with these shows seem to love them. just an idea, but I still think craigslist is the best idea for the money.

For a 300+ gallon tank? I doubt it, and I most certainly wouldn't give a cent to glass cages, especially for large tanks. I wouldn't even let them build me a sump. A tank this large is going to cost a considerable amount of money to set up and I really don't think you should cut corners with anything, let alone the actual aquarium. The last thing you would want is a tank that ends up with a leak.

If you're going with a tank that large, you might as well go custom. In addition to that, I would look at a height of less than 30" (to help with light penetration and maintenance) and a much wider depth, like 36" for better aquascaping options and to give the tank some visual depth, IMO.

I would sacrifice some length for depth. 18"-20" will be hard to aquascape. In my next house I will plan for a 4x4x2 viewable from all sides.

DONT use glasscages. I lived an hour from them (not their shows, their factory), and even the locals wouldn't buy from them. THAT tells you something.

That said, go custom, absolutely. I agree with Vic - less height, more front-back. Makes any tank look better.

96 X 24 X 30 ( 299G ) would be ideal. 400 halides will be great. More than likely it will cost around $3000 for the tank give or take a couple hundred.

We have an in-wall 100g and the maintenance is a PITA! If you want to maintain a deep tank consider putting a access panel in the front above the tank in order to clean the front glass. Even with the long scraper, the bottom front glass is really hard to clean. It takes both of us to clean the tank because one has to be in front screaming into the back person where to go. We've also broken many pieces when angleing the scraper back trying to get better leverage to get the tough spots.

Hope this helps a little. I have to say, even with the pain of cleaning it, I wouldn't have it any other way. We spend more time in front of it than we do cleaning it so it makes it worth while!

We have an in-wall 100g and the maintenance is a PITA! If you want to maintain a deep tank consider putting a access panel in the front above the tank in order to clean the front glass. Even with the long scraper, the bottom front glass is really hard to clean. It takes both of us to clean the tank because one has to be in front screaming into the back person where to go. We've also broken many pieces when angleing the scraper back trying to get better leverage to get the tough spots.

this is why I like my nano reef...or a converted swimming pool (at least I can dive while cleaning) ;)

Archived