SaltCritters.com

Bleached coral

zizmans

Ok, I have about 20 lbs of bleached coral. Not in my tank. In a box in the garage, the decor stuff. Here is my question. I was thinking of using it, I know some ppl use it as base rock. If I put it in a tank with say 10 lbs of LR, how long do you think it would take for it to be seeded? And corraline, as it will be butt. I'm thinking it would filter well at some point it is very porous. Any thoughts?

it will just take a while. get some coraline booster pegs the will make the process go faster. i'm working on doing the same thing to some texas holey rock i have. it just takes a while.

should take a couple of months, tops. it'll start helping to filter almost immediately as bene bacteria colonize its surfaces. i use the coralline growth as a visual guide (also for coral introduction).

i'd soak it for a couple of weeks in FW first though. i'm assuming you don't know the history of the rocks. i.e. maybe used as deco rock in a FO (copper) or they maybe have some crappie in them from sitting in your garage.

Archived