SaltCritters.com

RO/DI Basics?

j0hnny

Hi all,

Can anyone advise on what I should look for in an RO/DI system? I have no desire to spend a lot of money on one, but do I need a $300 system or will an ebay special work?

Here are my preliminary requirements:

1) I am interested in getting something that uses standard filters (for high availability and easy replacement in the future).

2) Quality should be such that it doesn't break or fall apart during normal use.

3) Should filter my water well enough that hair algae isn't inevitable in my tanks.

Can anyone suggest a brand or vendor to use/stay away from? If so why? Has anyone bought an ebay "no-name" brand and have input?

Thanks!

I got this one off of ebay RO/DI system and so far I have to say it works well. Especially since it comes with a drinking water system too. But, I find that the system is limited to about 2.5 gallons for every 3 hours. I say this due to if I want to fill a 5 gallon jug with RO/DI water... it will only fill half up and then I have to wait and then fill the other half about 4 hours later. Other from that... I think you can never go wrong with a Kent Marine system.

http://www.melevsreef.com/ro_di.html

It's where I bought mine.

Hi all,

Can anyone advise on what I should look for in an RO/DI system? I have no desire to spend a lot of money on one, but do I need a $300 system or will an ebay special work?

Here are my preliminary requirements:

1) I am interested in getting something that uses standard filters (for high availability and easy replacement in the future).

2) Quality should be such that it doesn't break or fall apart during normal use.

3) Should filter my water well enough that hair algae isn't inevitable in my tanks.

Can anyone suggest a brand or vendor to use/stay away from? If so why? Has anyone bought an ebay "no-name" brand and have input?

Thanks!

HecticDialectics

airwaterice.com is VERY hard to beat quality-to-price wise. The $150 Typhoon is a steal. The $189 Typhoon is also a great deal for the handful of extra add-ons.

airwaterice.com is VERY hard to beat quality-to-price wise. The $150 Typhoon is a steal. The $189 Typhoon is also a great deal for the handful of extra add-ons.

Agreed. Lots of happy typhoon users here. I have the compact 3 which was $150 and included a TDS meter. Also has fash flush and DI bypass if desired.

75GPD membrane and it puts out about 50GPD real world which is pretty good considering my water pressure is half of what the 75GPD rating is based upon. The other nice thing is that a small elbow was broken during shipping and they express shipped a replacement part the day I told them about it. They warranty their stuff for life.

i have an ebay filter, very nice quality. Could include longer hoses but that is about it. I think i'll be getting a TDS meter soon as i have not tested them yet.

Thank you all for the advice. I ended up ordering one of these:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...em=310013216415

About $120 shipped with an extra round of filters/resin. It uses a TFC membrane. It is supposed to be here tomorrow, so I should be able to report on its performance this weekend. If I don't like it, I'll go with a typhoon.

Adam, I understand about being excited for your shipments to roll in.

I have some ABS sheet coming in on Friday - to build my lower 20L into a nice looking fuge/sump. Tuesday I have a huge assortment of loc-line (I ordered a lot extra to maximize my options) coming in which will allow me to complete my plumbing for the display and fuge. If everything works out alright, plumbing wise, I should be able to overnight some LR and start cycling by next weekend. While cycling, I can look for some better lighting (I haven't even cycled my tank and am already replacing parts I bought too hastily. I'm leaning mostly toward a SunPod 250w MH for the display and a visually matching Orbit for the fuge light. My project is crossing over that "reality" line any minute now! Fun fun! I'll update my profile when there is something to report!

• 3 months later...
BuckeyeFieldSupply
Thank you all for the advice. I ended up ordering one of these:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...em=310013216415

At a minimum, unclip those horizontal DI stages and orient them to a vertical position with bottom up flow.

When you replace the filters - get rid of the GAC prefilter - that has no place in an aquarium system.

For added convenience and better performance, you could use an add on DI kit that includes a vertical, refillable, full size DI cartridge.

Russ @ BFS

Smartest thing I ever did was purchase the MightyMite RO/DI, very professional looking and hooks up in a minute. I even keep the tubes and everything tied up together and it packs away in the cabinet in no time when I'm done.

http://www.airwaterice.com/product/1MMDI/M...h_DI_Added.html

Oh and if you order from these guys, don't forget to add this TDS meter to you cart, it's 5 CENTS when you buy more than $75 and since the MightyMite is $99 ;)

http://www.airwaterice.com/product/TDSMINI...From_Senno.html

Archived