Cultivated Reef

Aquaclear Surface Skimmer, Help?

dkopacz

Could someone please give me some tips on how this works or how to use it. What is the "stick" that comes out the top/bottom of the main cylinder.....

It's like a screw if I remember correctly. It sticks out of the top and you have to turn it to adjust the height of the skimmer cup.

It's a screw that adjusts how much water gets skimmed and how much gets pulled through the slots on the bottom of the tube. If you look into the slots and turn the screw you will see what I'm talking about. The movement adjusts the height of the clear skimmer portion.

Cameron

c_k_kuehne

OK here my best shot.

the black section needs to be installed low enough so the clear section floats approx 1" to 1 1/2" above it. The floating action is what makes it work properly as water evaporates from the tank.

The paddle thing is a screw that adjusts how much water is sucked from the surface compared to for the battom of the black thing.

You only need a small amount of water sucked from the surface --- just enough to keep the surface clean. To much and you'll suck air into your fiter. Use ethe paddle so it sucks a little bit of water from the surface but no air. You micght have to "play" w/ this adjustment at first untill you fully understand how much of an adjustment is needed.

Periodically screw that paddle adjuster all the way down then back out so that you keep the internal threads clear of debris and calcium deposits.

If properly adjusted they work great at surface skimming and shouldn't have to be messed w/ except for periodic maintenance.

Charles

Archived