Coral Vue Hydros

Adding Kalk Reactor to CA reactor

dzones

I have an opportunity to get a Kalk reactor really cheap but was wondering if I should or if it would be any benefit to me.

I have 4 - 12g nano tanks all plumbed to a 20g fuge (soon to be adding a 10g mangrove tank also). I have an MRC-R1 Calcium reactor already running on this setup and am about to add a lot more stony corals over the next 2 weeks.

Is there any benefit or need to add a Kalk Reactor with a CA reactor already in place? I have heard of people using them as their top-off water using with a float switch.

Does anyone else have both?

What are you Ca/alk levels?

I've seen Kalk + Ca reactors on big (read: 400+ gallon) tanks, or Nielsen reactors on them, but it's because they're heavily stocked with SPS and the volume is so large.

With such a small volume (~80 gallons total), I don't think you'll benefit from getting a Kalk reactor.

What are you Ca/alk levels?

ok my alk is 12dKH and Ca is 410

I guess I am more curious as to any benefit this Kalk would give my tanks in keeping things steady and maintained instead of "bottle" additives once a week or so. Once I start adding the clams and stonies in I am sure the CA will be depleted more rapidly right?

Archived