Top Shelf Aquatics

Should I get this clown?

BorgDrone

Hey all,

I'm trying to get a replacement clown, at the best LFS, they have one tank that is tank raised perc (occellaris - I think). I want to get one of them but I noticed two of them has white grainy salt like on them so I didn't yet. Is that indication of parasite infection? The others seem normal. When I asked the store clerk about it, she said "oh those two got parasite, but the others are fine" Should I believe her? I left and came back two days later and the other clowns seem normal still and don't show any signs of white grainy salt like on them. Since after 48 hours have passed and those other ones in the tank still seem normal, so does that mean they have some immunity for it and I can go ahead and buy one of them? Thanx.

That is most likely Ich. Do a search here for "Ich", you will find a lot of threads. You should NOT buy any fish from a tank contaminated with Ich, even if they look healthy. Ich is also a sign of stress.

If you decide to take the risk, dip the fish in dechlorinated freshwater for 30 seconds or so before you put it in the tank.

personally i wouldn't touch them,even the healthy LOOKING ones ,it's not a good start. like chufa says, they're showing signs of stress and the extra move from the lfs to your tank would only increase stress.

clowns are very common, i'd go elsewhere.

cheers

Archived