Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Aquaclear 300-Too big for 10 gallon?

Bracod

I have seen people with aqua clear 150's on their tanks, and I was thinking about getting an aqua clear 300 (has huge media box) that I could have as a little HOB sump/refugium, I looked at it in the petstore and it looks big enough to be able to place the heater in there (if its small) so I won't have to have it in the tank. Since this thing is quite a beast for a 10 gallon I would run it on low, which is 100 gallons per hour, which should (hopefully) handle much of the water circulation about the tank (I also already have an aquaclear mini). Will this work out or should I downsize?

I think it'll be close. You can adjust the flow on them so that will help a lot. I dunno about running a fuge in one though.

If you want to run a heater in a HO filter you may wanna take a lot at the newer Tetratec filters with the optional heater module.

Cameron

Billdemart

I too looked at this option because I wanted to get my big fat stinkin ebo jagr 50w heater out of my tank. No luck, it doesn't fit in the 300.

I have decided to go with the aquafuge, but I am currently saving for it now.

Bill

You could mod the AC but I think it might be more trouble than it's worth. But hey, that's what DIY is all about:D

Cameron

ELGORDOINAVW

hey bracod, it will definetly work, i currently have a aquaclear 200 that holds my 6" 50 watt submersible heater. what alot of people do is change the impeller they put a 150 into the 300 or you might be able to use the one from the mini. what this does is reduce the flow in your ac300. then what you do is add some rubble rock macro and there you go a mini fuge. i'm in the process to upgrading to a aquaclear 500 with the impeller from my ac200. that way i have a huge fuge. for ligting i will use a bayco cf 13 watt light, they run $10 at walmart, even comes with a reflector/ and a 6500k bulb. check out nano-reef.com there is several threads about using aquaclears as fuges.

I have a 7g aga bow with an ac300 on it with a ac150 prop. I havent built my fuge box for inside it yet, but should have ti done by this weekend. I also have my 6" heater in there, my little time or temp therm probe, and soon, my fuge box, and water top off.

I got these ideas from mattgecko and little oceans, both have this setup. Its pretty awesome, I am in the process of setting lal ine up. I cant wait to have it all finished.

Good luck check this thread:

http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/showthread...ar+300+impeller

southpaw23

Hi guys...

Just wanted to pop my head in this thread and give my two cents. I've been doing alot of searches on the various reef forums on people who have turned their aquaclears to mini refugiums and had quite a bit of success with it....but it also depends on what you wanna accomplish with it. First off, the AC are by no means able to replace a proper refugium but does offer some advantages.

Most of us run our HOB's empty with the occasional media and carbon and that's it.....but with a larger AC, some have successfully created a refuge for various pods to grow by adding live rock rubble in the media box (sand is not advisable by most seeing that the flow rate is still pretty high and that it'll probably blow right out the filter) The flow rate can be dealt with in two ways, one is obviously to turn the rate down on the AC to the minimum...but the second way would be to replace the AC 300 impeller with a smaller model's impeller like a 150 or mini (apparently, the impellers for these models are interchangable but not for the AC 500)

All this method accomplishes is to provide a safe refuge for pods to populate thus providing ample food to the main tank as some of the pods will flow out to the main tank as they multiply. Beauty about this is that it doesn't require additional lighting over the AC but doesn't offer the advantages of macro algae growth etc that a regular fuge offers.

Others have placed caleurpa's and other macro algae in the media box as well supplimented with lighting from a small wattage PC that hangs over the media box. This seems to work for them as well although i don't think that the amount of macro algae is sufficient to effectively remove all nitrates.....but it does help.

Besides, if all we're going to do with a HOB is break the water surface and add additional flow to the tank, i think it's great that we're able to add these few additional elements to the tank without much modification and using the current setup that most of us already have.

Do a search on Reefcentral's main discussion forum on "Aquaclear Refugiums" and you'll find a few threads on this matter, also do that search on the other discussion forums in Reefcentral and Saltwaterfish.com and you'll find a few stray threads on this topic as well...good luck with it.

All in all, it sounds like a good idea to me....i'm seriously considering a HOB either the size of a 300 or 500 to put over my 15g and try converting it to a mini refugium...would appreciate input from those who've actually tried it and how they went about it.....pictures would be great....most of the threads i've read have given lots of discriptions on what they've done by not many have pictures to go with it......

Well, thanx for listening..... ;)

Originally posted by Billdemart

Hey Phish.

Saw these zoos on your site.  Do they go by a specific name?  I think they are incredibly beautiful.  I want ones exactly like that.

Thanks,

Bill

http://www.californiareefs.com/Assets/7Ree...ics/7reef04.jpg

Well, I got them from Brian @ Logical Reef. I am unsure of the specific variation but if I get enough growing maybe I can sell a some:D

Cameron

Billdemart
Originally posted by Physh1

Well, I got them from Brian @ Logical Reef. I am unsure of the specific variation but if I get enough growing maybe I can sell a some:D

Cameron

Sounds good to me. They look like the same kind shown in the picture at the top of this page in the middle. I got my very first coral ever last night. Bought a cleaner shrimp and false perc and the guy threw in a little rock with about 5 button polyps on it. They rock! But not quite as pretty as the green, blue and red.

Archived