Pod Your Reef

29 Gallon Lighting

jameshetrick

jameshetrick

What type and how much lighting would you say is enough to run a 29G tank.

NOTE: I would like to keep an Anemone.

if you want to spend the money once, don't #### around, go mh

if you need to save some $$$ then go vho

if you can't afford that, then just get a csl fixture from champion or marine depot. but you'lllll be sorriieeee. not so much that the animal will be 'gasping' for light but you'll spend the money anyways, eventually. (they always do, muhahahaha!)

if you can't afford the csl then go here

If you are looking to keep an anenome.. Go with the Halides, they are going to provide the anemeome with the light that it needs to THRIVE with.. if you are going to buy this creature.. then you need to supply it with what it needs to THRIVE, not just survive..

I have a 29 gallon with a 65 watt smartlamp and a 20 watt NO 50/50 bulb and I keep everything under this light.....softies, acropora, montipora, maxima clam, everything does great

If you can afford it go for at least one 150W or 175W metal halides. I have the same tank and I regret the fact that I chose PC's every single day.

jameshetrick

Are you sure that one MH will light the tank enough? That may sound stupid but I have never used and or setup a MH lighting system.

Originally posted by jameshetrick

Are you sure that one MH will light the tank enough?

A common recommendation is 1 MH luminaire for every 24" of tank length so yes you will find that the corners and edges fall off in light intensity to some extent but that is not necessarily a bad thing because you can place lower light corals in those positions. Use horizontal orientation for the MH with the right MH type (horizontal/universal) a good reflector and a 55W actinic PC tube and you should be laughing.

Archived