SaltCritters.com

I caught a mantis!

Korbin

My 2 week old 15 gallon has been making this weird snapping sound. I got my first snails last night, and noticed one was already missing from its shell today. hmmmm.

I bought a dozen more snails today and threw them in the sand right in the front of the tank, and all of a sudden an orange flash came out of the rock and punched a snail and shot back into the rock. It was an orange/red mantis.

Luckily, the rock was sorta small, so I reached in and yanked it out. The mantis looked at my hand when I reached in and looked like he was going to swim out, but I think he stayed in. He is now living in a bucket for now. Until I decide if I want to keep him. Here is what I saw, and you can see why he was so hard to spot.

Alrighty good job man. Some get an adrenaline rush from skydiving, or perhaps bungee jumping, or even bull riding. But there is no feeling of a rush like there is when you stick your bare hand into a tank to disturb a ####ed off, lightning fast, razor sharp mantis. So leave the base jumping, free rock climbing, rodeo bullsh*t for the timid and weak. If you want a "real mans rush" stick with Mantis wrangling. Now the trick is to break him like a wild stallion, and your hermits will be riding him in no time.

Nice job;)

Good Lord I've lost my mind again(have you seen it),... I'm goin to bed

But there is no feeling of a rush like there is when you stick your bare hand into a tank to disturb a ####ed off, lightning fast, razor sharp mantis.

Yeah, Korbin, you have balls of steel. I would not have done that. They don't call them 'thumb splitters" for no reason!

Hmm, I just re-read the post. I should have said that I yanked the rock out that he is in. I didn't grab the shrimp. That would hurt.

He's in a bucket. I've been teasing him with a piece of squid on a fishing line. Man, he gives me the heebie jeebies.

Oh- update: I think I found the other one with the squid/fishing line. Its smaller but its in my biggets nicest rock. So I FW dipped the rock. That didn't work. Now I have the rock quarantined in a styrofoam container. These things are sure making a mess out of my apartment. If I hear one more click come from my tank, I'm gonna launch an all-out assault. :ninja2: Wish me luck.

Sounds like a great excuse to start another little tank next to your nanoreef for the mantis/s. They are VERY cool little beasties.

PS Nice post by Brianc_4 - good laugh

Archived