Coral Vue Hydros

Anemones in nanos

stopthemad

stopthemad

I am wanting to get some clown fish in my tank and I was wondering if I could also put an anemone in the tank. The pet store was kinda iffy on weither or not i would be able to. Could someone please let me know their opinion on it. Thanks

try the clown first, if after a couple of months everything looks fine you may want to try it. don't jump into it right away as you might as well paypal me your money. at least you'll be bringing some happiness into the world that way. :P

FO or FOWLR is tough enough for a newcomer into this hobby, to add an invert right away is not advisable. take your time to ease yourself into the hobby. only bad things happens fast in this hobby.

It can be successfully done. Most get a Bubble Tip for their clown, but certain clowns with prefer specific anemones, so check it out before you get one.

Tomatoes and Maroons often host in a bubble tip, but both can get a little big for a nano (not to mention that the anemone can also get quite large). A clown will do fine without an anemone, but an anemone will do better with a clown. The smaller, more popular clowns (like False Percs) might not host with a Bubble Tip (Bulb) anemone. Anemones require special feeding and lighting, plus you must make sure that they don't kill themselves on your intakes or heater.X)

I researched it and decided against putting an anemone in my nano; although, as I stated, others have done so successfully.

Ah hell I have four anenomes in my tank no problem.

(Of course they are the mini-carpets (2) and the tulip anenomes (2). A WEE bit small for my clown to do any hosting in but still cool none the less :)).

Anenomes sting any coral it touches, if it dies it stinks beyond anything you've ever smelled, if you don't have foam on your intakes it can get sucked into it (messy), no guarantee you'll get a clown to host in it, it can grow ... fast.

HTH!

Lord have mercy, dead anemones stink. I remember when a heart surgeon back in Midland, MI added two GORGEOUS Filipino carpets to his 150 at his townhome, then went on vacation two weeks later. He asked his tank sitters to do everything necessary to keep things going, and they pretty fell asleep at the switch. When he came back, the anemones were pretty much done for. Coincidentally, it was on my schedule to maintain his tank a couple days later, and had to remove said anemones. Never smelled anything so awful in my life.

What's worse? The guy paid $250 apiece for those anemones. They were as big as large pizzas when fully extended.

I've got a BTA in my 29...and a fairly large one at that (only non-Rose the stupid LFS had..and the darn thing can open up to about 10" across when it wants..although draped over the rock in all the nooks and crannies its not too too bad)...and its doing fine. Although..I have to admit...clowns are mean and nasty in general..but give a clown a host anemone and they become the toughest little SOBs in the tank...almost completely changes their personality. As others have said...don't make this the first cnidarian you toss in the tank...but don't be overly afraid of adding one to a LARGER nano system (I'd say 20+ gallons would be the minimum I'd add a BTA to) after you gain some experience. And of course..make sure you have sufficient LIGHTING before you try to keep one as well (read as: You'd better have MH!). Other than that..have fun!

HTH

Smif-n-Wessom

All I have to say is that you must do lots of research before you get an anenome. I have had four die on me so I am kind of thinking twice about getting another. And taking them out when they die is not the most fun thing I have ever done. Those things smell worse than anything I have ever smelled. My advice is get a clown first see how it does and introduce an anenome when you think you can handle it. Good luck

you might also consider a soft coral as a host for clown fish. I have a pair of ocelaris clowns who are very happy hosting a Xenia elongata, heck, they even try and feed the Xenia.

Depends on what sort of clowns you want too.

-skeletor-

Archived