ReefCleaners.org

Auto Top Off Question

el_dante

Are you using it w/ a powerhead or a pump? I heard of both and I'm trying to figure out which one is better to use.

Thanks

I have a maxijet 400 in a five gallon buket. Works like a charm. I clean the powerhead every week because I'm also adding kalk to my topoff water.

Have either of you had success with putting the water container below the tank, say in the stand? Or did you have to have it elevated above the water line?

It has to be below so all the water won't drain (siphon) out after the pump turns off. Also, make sure the hose is not submerged in the tank/sump or else the tank water will siphon back when the pump stops.

-Jon

GatorChris

I don’t mean to hijack this thread but I have a quick question concerning these auto-top off systems. I plan on buying one and I am a bit concerned about the float switch getting stuck or the power head getting stuck on. Is this a common problem or am I just paranoid? I would hate to flood out my apartment, not to mention what would happen to my enclosed hood. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

The switch sticking is not likely to occur UNLESS you surpass the wattage rating on the switch. The ones I make and sell are rated up to 30 watts and I recommend nothing larger than a Rio 800 or a MaxiJet 1200. I've run higher wattage pumps on them for testing and within 5 trips on a off the switch stuck.

On my hang on switches I now offer guards so snails and critters don't hang on them accidently tripping them on.

As far as I know there have been 1 switch has stuck (defective switch unit) and a few snails tripped them.....that has been fixed.

Cameron

Cameron

Archived