Top Shelf Aquatics

nemo in a shroom?

penguin87

this quote from liveaquaria.com about blue mushroom corals says something that is very interesting:

The Actinodiscus Mushroom Corals are also referred to as Mushroom Anemones and Disc Anemones.

so, mushroom corals are closely related to anemones? and so then, an ocellaris clownfish may take up a colony of mushrooms as a host as a substitute for anemones? if not, will someone remind me which corals clownfish may host in? thanks a bunch all you nano reefers.

Although some clownes can host corals, it's much more probable they won't, so i wouldn't plan for this to happen!

I've xenia have before, but i've never seen it.

cheers

Originally posted by Aware

Although some clownes can host corals, it's much more probable they won't, so  i wouldn't plan for this to happen!

especially if the clown was tank raised

if the clown was tank-raised, he probably never even encountered an anemone and doesn't know any better. therefore a tank-raised wouldn't care either way. even if from the wild, he'll still be fine with LR to hide in;)

Billdemart
Originally posted by Jandree22

especially if the clown was tank raised

Ive heard the "tank raised clowns won't pair with an anemone" is a wives tale...

I didn't say they wouldn't... I just said they were never exposed to them, hence chances are less. If their parents were wild caught then yes, they do have a better chance of hosting. But if they are bred from a long list of tank-raised decendants, then the probability of hosting drops with every generation... Their bodies' natural instincts unprogram a lil bit each time their generation has lived in an aquarium. Not a 'wives tale'... common sence

Littleoceans

Its funny you say that..... my clown has hosted with a green shroms.. and its tank raised...I noticed it yesterday. If I can get my camera working again, I will post pic....

Billdemart

I didn't say they wouldn't... I just said they were never exposed to them, hence chances are less.  If their parents were wild caught then yes, they do have a better chance of hosting.  But if they are bred from a long list of tank-raised decendants, then the probability of hosting drops with every generation... Their bodies' natural instincts unprogram a lil bit each time their generation has lived in an aquarium.  Not a 'wives tale'... common sence

Look about halfway down.... Jenn's post

http://www.thereeftank.com/forums/showthre...&threadid=19786

you knoW what everyone....it depends on the individual fish. my ocellaris pair hosts with my friggin overflow.... some are smart, some are just retarded. your not gonna know what it's gonna do until you put it in the tank. Ocellaris are batty clownfish.

Billdemart

Aire matie, you win this time:pirate:  

I still think it'll be very unlikely to host a 'shroom:P

Yeah you are probably right... I guess the point is people with nano's want clowns to host with something and that if Anemones are too big/destructive to put in Nano's people (including me), want them to attach to something!!! :P

My clowns hosted with my heater and now my power head. One important bit og info penguin. Clowns hosting with corals can irritate and even kill many corals. I had to get rid of a beautiful open brain because of this. What size is you tank by the way?

i have Tank riased Percuals..

and they hosted.. One hosted to a BTA i had in the tank .. and the other hosted to Hair Algae.. Infact when i was cleaning it up.. he would atack me ... So really its up to the fish.. most clowns have insticitve feelings to host.. most will.. all that i have seen.. and had.. Execpt for one.. who just loved to float by my overflow.. SCARING THE HELL out of me every morning.. looking for him in my sump.. as he would sure eough go over in his sleep and then end up in the sump.. Then i found Eggcrate.. greatest thing ever..

that sounds like a lot of "fun". i was most definately going to buy an ocellaris, whether it's best for them to have something to host in or not, but it looks like i will have plenty possible places for nemo.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi, My tomato clowns have hosted in my spotted mushroom one of them is in there all the time. I would say try it and see what happens.

Archived