Innovative Marine Aquariums

Came into possession of a big(ish) tank... won't set up til next fall...

SF2K4

Well, one of my parent's friends had been holding onto what appears to be a 75g tank and stand (should've measured but it looked like 75g) as well as some older equipment that he was going to end up throwing away until he heard I was into the hobby so I jumped on it (free is good). The tank looks like it's still in great shape (obviously I'll water/leak test it) and the stand just needs a new coat of varnish. The hardware looks like it's been sitting for a while so I'll end up replacing all of that as well as redoing the plumbing.

Anyway, I've NEVER done a big tank (I'm currently running a 9g SW, 3g SW, and a 29g FW) and I really don't know where to start... I've started reading things here and there about the big tank scene so I just wanted to see what the links or other notable facts most of you keep in the "holster" for beginners like me :P

I have PLENTY of time to prepared and amass things, so, the most important things I want to know right now are:

What all equipment do I need?

For that equipment, which brands come highly recommended?

What's the best lighting option? (I was thinking MH and T5?)

I figure after I have all the necessary hardware and get it all plumbed up I can worry about... whatever comes next :P

Thanks guys! :)

you may want to start with what you have in mind of doing (lps, sps, softies, etc...) and we can better suggest flow, lighting, etc.

eddie

Well all I'm familiar with coral wise is softies at the moment... though I'd love to try some SPS (figure take them one step at a time, right?).

I'm looking at keeping a lot of coral and a good variety of fish... what would be considered some good 75g fish? The three fish I want the most would be:

Clownfish (unsure of which yet... sweet on Picasso clowns at the moment)

Rabbitfish

Hawkfish

Archived