SaltCritters.com

ASM vs Octopus vs Tunze (skimmers)

oceanhighz

I'm setting up a new setup this week and considering a new skimmer that would cut down on the noise of my CSS65. Right now I am thinking about the Octopus skimmers, ASM G1 or mini G and the Tunze 9002. The tank is going to be an Oceanic 58 gallon with either a 20L or 29 gallon sump. I want the quietest skimmer possible that will be effective. I realize the Tunze 9002 is made for tanks a little smaller than mine, but I have a light bioload and will also have a refugium, which is why I am still considering it, since I know it is almost silent. Can anyone give me input on the noise level and comparisons (skimmate production etc) with these skimmers?

I am also looking at replacing the return pump I am using on my current system (Mag 5) with another pump. I was wondering what other options you would consider using for a pump around this same flow rate used internally. I've heard good things about the eheims but they are a little out of my price range for right now. What other pumps are quiet and are fairly reasonable in price.

I am trying to keep this tank as quiet as possible because it is in my bedroom and I don't want to have to shut it off when my gf stays the night, my current setup makes too much noise, so I shutoff the skimmer and return and leave the powerheads running in the sump and display at night so it is almost silent.

Thanks for your help in advance.

I'm setting up a new setup this week and considering a new skimmer that would cut down on the noise of my CSS65. Right now I am thinking about the Octopus skimmers, ASM G1 or mini G and the Tunze 9002. The tank is going to be an Oceanic 58 gallon with either a 20L or 29 gallon sump. I want the quietest skimmer possible that will be effective. I realize the Tunze 9002 is made for tanks a little smaller than mine, but I have a light bioload and will also have a refugium, which is why I am still considering it, since I know it is almost silent. Can anyone give me input on the noise level and comparisons (skimmate production etc) with these skimmers?

I am also looking at replacing the return pump I am using on my current system (Mag 5) with another pump. I was wondering what other options you would consider using for a pump around this same flow rate used internally. I've heard good things about the eheims but they are a little out of my price range for right now. What other pumps are quiet and are fairly reasonable in price.

I am trying to keep this tank as quiet as possible because it is in my bedroom and I don't want to have to shut it off when my gf stays the night, my current setup makes too much noise, so I shutoff the skimmer and return and leave the powerheads running in the sump and display at night so it is almost silent.

Thanks for your help in advance.

I can't say about the other two, but I have an octopus skimmer and it is VERY quiet compared to the AquaC Remora I have.

The Octopus gives off a little "hiss" noise from the air intake (with the silencer on) but it's fairly quiet.

thanks benzou, anyone else have input?

I have a mini-g on my 30breeder. It does a VERY nice job, even with me feeding all my mini carpets daily (probably comparable waste to what any "normal" bioload in a 55g or so would be). I don't have any noise reducers on it, so I can only tell you that running wide open without them it is NOT quiet, but the skimmate is absolutely nauseating.

thanks for the input, I think that cuts out the mini-g, I think the ASM's are out now, mainly because I hear they are overpriced for the job they do, and the octopus and Tunze's are quieter

I've dealt with similar issues as far as having the tank in my bedroom and hating the noise.

Eheim pumps are the quietest out of every pump I have tried. They are spendy, but silent and last forever. Good investment.

As far as skimmers, they are all a little loud. I haven't really found a quiet skimmer yet. I say just get a good skimmer and if you have to turn it off at night, put it on a timer, and no big deal.

Personally I'd go for one of the Octopus recirculating needle wheels over the asm and tunze. It basically uses an ocean runner pump which have been said to be pretty quiet. There will still be a small hiss though from the air intake.

I'm not sure if you're still looking for input, but I've got a 9002 on my 40g breeder. This skimmer is almost completely silent but IMO will not handle the 70+ total gallons of your system. It is an OK skimmer, but I don't think it can compare with the Octopus NW, and I would not feel very good about using my 9002 on anything larger than 40g total volume. Hope that helps.

I have used the tunze 9005 and the 9010. The are both really quiet and do a kick a$$ job of skimming. I have never used the 9002 but i don't see why it would be just as good. I always buy a skimmer that is rated past my tanks capacity for example for a 30 gallon tank I would purchase a skimmer rated for a 60-100 gallon tank. this way if I do ever decide to add a heavier bio load or get a larger tank i don't need to purchase a new skimmer.

I have a Tunze Nano Skimmer on my 20H and it is almost silent. It has skimmed since day one although it IS wet skimmate. Good skimmer for the buck. I know that if I had to make another skimmer purchase, I would make the same decision again and buy another one.

As for pumps, I've found the Korallias to be almost completely silent if that helps.

Archived