SaltCritters.com

Spray bar for 70 gallon

bubbles3660

Hi All,

I'm installing a DIY spraybar in my 70 gallon but I have no idea what size the holes should be and how deep the horizontal piping section should be within the display. Any ideas?

--bubbles

I say make it the length of the tank minus 12 inches. Center the entire thing on the tank so there is a 6" gap on both sides. Then use T's, elbows and close nipples to have the horizontal part of the bar sit behind the tank, and build the "hooks" that go over the lip of the tank to go to each nozzle. At the end of these woudl be a 3/4" loc line fitting, that way you can point the nozzle in almost any direction and or point it sraight down if needed. Just make them 4-6 inches deep, or less if you really want then hidden, i have even seen JUST the loc line tip in the water and everything else out of site.

If it were me i would use probably 1" PVC for the main body of the bar, and 3/4" for each "hook". You could put a ball valve inline with each nozzle (behind tank) to control the flow of each nozzle independently.

I made a professional rendering of what i think it should look like......j/k

Alternately you could use SCWD's for a wave type of effect but be sure to look into shaving down the insides to increase flow or better yet putting your own fittings on.

Also if you have any other equipment on the back of your tank make sure to plan around those for your "hooks" I would set everything on the back wall that will be there and see what arrangement looks best before gluing all the pvc together

Edit: after typing all of that, i think we are thinking of two different things. Ohwell take it or leave it

post-30200-1199566505_thumb.jpg

Edit: after typing all of that, i think we are thinking of two different things. Ohwell take it or leave it

Hmm, yes. Not quite the same thing. Mine is a simple pvc stand-pipe return with t-section and two horizontal pvc tubes branching out horizontally on either side. These are drilled and water escapes through these holes along the pvc pipe. I just wanted to know the diameter of the holes and how deep the horizontal section should go.

Nevertheless, your diagram is excellent. :)

--bubbles

Archived