Cultivated Reef

Clown Eating Zoas?

Rob59

Ive got a well established 55 gallon soft coral tank. Everything is thriving right now, especially my 6"x6" colony of zoas. Theres only one problem, im losing small patches, up to 4-5 polyps a day. There just dissapearing and even the rock is cleaned where they were gone, ive seen no bits floating around at all and the rest of the colony is full opened looking great. The only thing I can come up with is that my large clarkii clown is eating them because his been getting more and more nasty torwards everything in the tank. Has anyone heard of this before, clarkii clowns eating coral?

seahorsedreams

If I were you I'd be looking for a boxsnail, nudi or a spider... they are all zoa predators.

Nudi

nudi.jpg

nudzoa.jpg

Box snail/some call sundial snail

beauty.jpg

sundial3.jpg

sundial2.jpg

zoa eating spider

IMG_2675.jpg

i checked about an hour after lights out should i check later?

wouldn't hurt.

also have you checked your temp, pH, salinity and ammonia,nitrite,nitrate,alk,ca?

i'd guess that if you haven't seen shriveling or tissue necrosis that you're right in assuming its a predator and not a chemistry or health issue. maybe a crab that hitchhiked in?

do you have any shrimp in the tank? Some species of shrimp can be predatory on coral. Peppermints, etc...

my guess would be snails... what your describing sounds just like a snail problem. Snails can be tricky pests... they are very adept at blending in.

everything tests out fine except ive never done a ca or alk test (just dose with seachem calcium every top off) I have some larger snails in the tank that have sat on them in the past but they normally just pissed of the zoas and left, if it is the snails do i have any options other than giving them to the lfs?

Archived