Cultivated Reef

Anyone make a 15" by 15" glass cube tank?

Wasabi

bump

inter-american can make custom sizes but it may be cheaper to get a local glass house to do it.

glasscages.com is another source but i don't think they do small tanks (i.e. small dollar jobs). hth

I was looking for the EXACT same thing. I was also looking into acrylic. I contacted every single manufacturer I could find in my general area, and the prices I could find were somewhere around $250. Some of the places that usually make bigger tanks wouldn't even give me the time of day. And finding someone to ship a glass tank is another trick. I ended up getting really frustrated and bought a 15 high and drilled it.

If you have some skill and materials and tools, I would say make one yourself. Otherwise, I would suggest getting a standard size and investing in a diamond bit (if you want it drilled).

Oh - I noticed that Meijers keeps their hampsters in glass cube tanks. Maybe you could talk them into selling one of those. The ones I saw didn't look like they would even hold water, though.

Thanks Chris,

Does the LV418w come in any color other than chrome? Can you fit more light in the included light strip? I'd like to bump the light up some(5watts+per/gal at least) for a tank that high. Thanks again,

Scott

Graywolf57

A little off your specs but All Glass offers the 15 Gal designer that is 13 5/8 x 13 5/8 x 25. Probably taller than you wanted but in the neighborhood and you don't have to make it yourself.

Thanks Graywolf57,

Yeah, that's way too tall. The perfect tank for me would be glass, 15"x15"x18". That's the size that would fit best on my desk and I'd still have some room in back for a CPR Aquafuge(or similar DIY fuge). Oh, it would be cool to have rounded front corners but I'm dreamin' now. Thanks for your input,

Scott

AsahiToro,

Yep its comes in crome, black, & oak. I have the black, its a really pretty tank. The rounded front corners take a bit to get use to they are also a little difficult to clean with a magfloat.

Upgrading the lighting- 2- 32 watt bulbs will fit in the hood of course you would have to switch the ballast. You might be able to fit 3 bulbs in there with some work and planning. A double ended MH bulb would also but you would have to do some work on that one. Currently I have stock lighting its a little low but nothing seems to unhapppy. My wife is makeing me wait for the warranty to be up before I retro better lights into it.

Chris

sponger,

Thanks for the input but that one isn't even close to what I am looking for. It's acrylic, not big enough and the filtration and skimming that is included(and probably takes tank space) is useless for me. I'm sure it's a nice tank for some but again, it's not what I am looking for. Thanks again for your input,

Scott

Chris,

Good deal. That might be the tank for me if I can squeeze some more light in there and get it in black. My desk is cherry so chrome may not look good there. I'll check it out more and try to find one local. Thanks again,

Scott

AsahiToro,

No problem.. You could fit a 96W power quad in that hood also. Just another option.. Crome wouldn't be that ugly but the black would look better with the cherry desk.

Chris

Chris,

I thought the 96w power quads were 18" long? Are just the bulbs/sockets shorter and I can still squeeze them in the LV 418(w) hood? The 3x32w pc's sound like the ticket for a good fit/clean look. Also, maybe a 70w MH/32w PC combo may be nice. Wonder if that would get too hot with that light strip design? Thanks again,

Scott

So the powerquad might not fit...I have actually never checked that A friend keeps trying to get me to put a powerquad in mine so I just figured it would fit. I want seperate bulbs so I can have actinics on in the evening.

Chris

Chris,

Maybe a 70w MH with 1 32w actinic PC would be nice. If I could get those and a CSL Moonlight in that hood, it would be great. I like the flicker in the water that MH gives and the 32w PC actinic would complement that well. Also, the Moonlight would be neat for evening viewing. Oh boy, here I go. Where's the credit card? :P

Thanks again,

Scott

Chris,

I have another few questions for you or anyone who may know. What's a good price for a LV 418(w)? How wide is the lightstrip? Basically, how much realistic width do I have to have clearance for the lamps? Also, anywhere online sell them? Thanks again,

Scott

My wife bought me the tank for my b-day so I don't know what she paid. the hood is the same width as the tank. front to back its about 6"-7". Sorry I'm at work so I can't measure it. I'm sure there are places that sell them. If you go to Via Aqua website they have a link for resellers in your area and I think it will tell you who online sells them. I will try to measure the hood tonight, we are going out of town tomorrow so things are a bit crazy.

Chris

Thanks for the info Chris,

I tried to find a distributor on their website and that page isn't working. I'll check around locally. The tank width is 13.5". If the hood is the same or similar width, there should be decent room to work with. I'm wondering if I buy the 2x18w model if I can spread the bulbs out some and put a 70w MH in the middle and go with actinics for the PC's. If not, maybe go with the 1x18w model and mount the 70w MH in there along with an 18w actinic. Thanks again for the info and have fun on your trip,

Scott

it comes with 2x18W and there isn't room for a MH bulb because of the way the hood is put together. there are these walls inside the hood that might be able to be removed to allow more space. 1x18 and MH..maybe. I don't have experience with MH.. I'm leaving work now so give me about 2 hrs and i'll try and have a few pics for ya.

Chris

Thanks Chris,

Pics would be great. I'm not afraid of doing some cutting to get a 32w PC(or the stock 18w) or two and a 70w MH in there. I notice it sits high enough that heat most likely won't be an issue. My HOB fuge can gravytrain some of the light as well. Thanks again for posting some pics when you get them.

Scott

deacon hemp

my lfs sells tanks by this company called sea star i think its canadian it's a 16x16x16 cube all glass the dimentions might not suit your needs but i thought i'd share anyway!

Deacon,

That looks like a very cool tank for my desk. Maybe I can squeeze another 1" in there lengthwise. I wonder if I can get one of those in the US? Anyone know of a US distributor so maybe one of my local LFS's can get one? It's definitely another great option. Thanks very much for your input,

Scott

deacon hemp

no problem dood....i'm a cube tank nut and anytime i see a thread about cubes i jump in,i'm lookin to upgrade my tank right now to a 30 gal oceanic cube.the sea stars have a 4 year warranty for saltwater use,there built soild!

Yeah, that 30 gallon is nice. There are some good deals on them at Petsmart as well. I wish I could fit it where I want to put this next tank. I have an Oceanic 58 with the dark cherry stand and hood. Excellent quality, great tank.

Well, my quest continues for a US distributor of the Sea Star. If anyone knows, please drop me a note. Thanks,

Scott

Archived