Pod Your Reef

One of a kind tank build

kermitthedaniel

kermitthedaniel

So Im starting my tank build, you probably havent seen anything like this before and maybe there is a reason for it, not sure but i like several things about saltwater tanks.

1. I like Fowlr tanks

2. I like reef tanks ( no fish )

3. I like reef with community fish

and i was thinking to myself, well some fish you cant have with other fish, and some corals with certain fish and so on a so forth. I was like why not build one system just like in the stores but with 3 different displays. so i threw around some ideas, but all the models i designed were too long ( which is not a bad thing) just I didnt have the space for that. i wanted something that wasnt just a rectangle or a bowfront ( just to many of those)and i wanted it to become part of the house and also not be too many gallons for its size . so here is my design. i did it all in sketchup google.

(All my measurements are in inches)

The first(top) tank is 24x12x12

this one is the corals only tank (no fish) other things will be in there. which then flows into the

second tank which is 16x 24 x 22

but its not a complete square, the reason for that is because i like to design and it can create an area for fish to swim and yet have space for high light demanding corals. hence this one is corals and fish

then that flows into the

third tank which is a 20H 24x12x16 for a species only tank or certain fish that might not get along with corals.

the over all dimensions of the whole thing including lights is 40x28x37.

this is a closed loop system where i pump my water from the third tank back into the first one into a build in sump/ fuge area. defitnaly dont mind help with this part. first part is for the HOB skimmer. Im going with aqua c remora pro. again choosing that one because i like the look of it showing and easy to access and clean. then ive got a baffle for filter floss for any large parts that were missed. with an area for the heater probably wont need one mind need to run a chiller in the end. and any other cleaners i need, which then flows into the fuge area but only over top of it. the reason i did this is because i wanted the flow to be slower for the fuge than the rest of the flow of the tank. after all of that it flows back into the system and i let gravity do the work.

Lighting

Lets start at the top and work our way down. im going to have an individual light for the fuge that can flip up on its own. then i will be runnning t5VHO for the top tank. and again for the second tank. Im not sure if im going to use them in the third because this tank is ment for species only fish so i wont have any high light demanding corals in there, but you never know in the end, id rather go do it right and save money, so probably use VHO in the third tank as well in the end.

All my light except the lights on the third tank will be able to lift off from the lid, i will show pictures once i start on the canopies. and the third tanks canopy can lift up where it is, it will block the top tank but it will be down most of the time.

Flow

still up in the air what power heads im going to use but probably going to mix it up with a few different kinds to get different water movements from them. and all the wiring will go around back or in the middle where the lights are for the third tank. i'll be using 1/2" pvc pipe for the overflows. i had to use overflows because if the power went out i need the water in the tanks to not continue all into the third tank. the third tank will have a little bit lower than the rest just for all the run off water if the power goes out.

I will be having probably around 120 pounds of live rock total through out the system. Not really sure what kinds of corals im going to mix up yet, got a good idea but nothing solid yet.

i dont mind constructive comments that will help with the build infact i would like them because before i completely start on this project i want to fine tune it. thanks for the input. and anything else your wondering about because im sure i missed some stuff.

dang.jpg

Yea, pretty much.

Ive seen setups like this with a refugium on the side of the tank, but your taking it just a litle bit farther :P

kermitthedaniel

So ive decided to go with 4 HO flourescents. i will have only 3 in the the top tank, which will be fine because it is only 12 inches tall, and the second i will have four and the third again 4.

kermitthedaniel

the reason im not going with t5vho and using t5ho is because vho bulbs need replacing every 5-6 months and at 12 bulbs for the whole thing that can get expensive over time, and the reason not going with MH is because you need space between the light and the tank which i do not have if you look at the pictures.

I think this is one of the most badass, well thought out tank designs I've ever seen. It's also exactly what I need because I can't make up my mind on what kind of tank I want most.

It's the "have your cake and eat it too" All-In-One Aquarium.

I love it.

Hate to tell you, but that piece of glass on the side with the notch cut out of it WILL break. It becomes a weak point and will not take the stress. If I were you, I would make it 2 pieces and put a silicone seam up it. I have 15yrs. in the glass business and I would not trust it at all.

kermitthedaniel

yeah thats too bad that im usuing acrylic then huh........ so then it would be ok, also that whole section is being supported really well, cant see that in the pictures because well its too much stuff to look at. yeah i would build one for anyone that wants one they would just have to pay me for the materials and some of the labour, but cheap labour because really i just love building stuff. its coming along nicely ive got the bottom tank done, with the canopy almost done, alot of holes for all the wires are going through there so im just thinking everything through before i drill all of the holes. still looking at finding cheap t5 with individual reflectors. but in the meantime, im also doing a small 20H for fun, ( i think i like the builds alots, just getting everything going and tweaking everything custom) and just a question but is 202W of PC's too much for a tank that size. I had 4 ballasts hanging around so it has 2 - 36 watt bulbs, one 10000k and one actinic, the other 2 -65 watt one 10000k bulb and a dual blue ( half royal blue, half actinic blue) having those bulbs of different strengths make a really good looking sunset and sunrise effect, maybe i will post pictures of that too once im done my custom canopy for it. anyways must get back to the build.

yeah thats too bad that im usuing acrylic then huh........ so then it would be ok, also that whole section is being supported really well, cant see that in the pictures because well its too much stuff to look at. yeah i would build one for anyone that wants one they would just have to pay me for the materials and some of the labour, but cheap labour because really i just love building stuff. its coming along nicely ive got the bottom tank done, with the canopy almost done, alot of holes for all the wires are going through there so im just thinking everything through before i drill all of the holes. still looking at finding cheap t5 with individual reflectors. but in the meantime, im also doing a small 20H for fun, ( i think i like the builds alots, just getting everything going and tweaking everything custom) and just a question but is 202W of PC's too much for a tank that size. I had 4 ballasts hanging around so it has 2 - 36 watt bulbs, one 10000k and one actinic, the other 2 -65 watt one 10000k bulb and a dual blue ( half royal blue, half actinic blue) having those bulbs of different strengths make a really good looking sunset and sunrise effect, maybe i will post pictures of that too once im done my custom canopy for it. anyways must get back to the build.

Ah, missed the acrylic part. How thick is it going to be? You still have kind of a weak spot there. I am not flaming you, I just want to make sure you get what you wanted in the end, and its safe for your fishies. :)

kermitthedaniel

yeah about that corner, a way to strengthen any corner even glass like that, is you drill a circle into the corner and fill it with silicone, it gets rid of the weak point ive seen it done many times. i dont have a camera , i borrow from my friend but hes on the rigs right now, so sorry, the thing about this build is that its not that big, just 3 small tanks pretty much with small overflows, and a simple HOB skimmer and easy to build canopies, thats why i designed it like this, because its so possible not just a daydream build.

I really like the idea. I'd love to do something like this on a larger scale: maybe a big tank to accomodate my fascination with large, agressive fish; a small-mid size softy/lps set up; another for sps corals; and then maybe a RDSB; and another tank with a ton fo extra live rock for filtration; plus a huge sump for extra water and a giant skimmer. Ok, maybe that's getting out of hand. Can't wait to see how your set up works out. Any idea of what fish you want for the species tank?

Archived