SaltCritters.com

Need advice from the large prop tank gurus

StanD

I'm consolidating all of my tanks into a single 110g acrylic in the next few weeks. All I have so far is the tank, an open stand, and a 40g acrylic I might use for the refugium. I need ideas on pumps, lighting, etc. I also have about 20 lbs of live sand. Should I put that into the main tank or leave it in the fuge?

The 110g main tank has a standard overflow at the far end of the aquarium. It is also drilled on the bottom in 2 areas. The 40g is drilled on the back wall at each top corner. It does not contain any dividers have any type of separation currently for the different areas in a fuge/sump.

So, how should I design the plumbing? PVC or flex hose? Should I buy a fuge or mod the 40g?

I need ideas !! Give me diagrams !!

Thanks in advance,

Stan

:P

I live pvc cause of hte look, but in all honesty flex is much easier to make the bends with.

I would modify the 40g, no point in spending money where you won't see it.

As far as the bottom of the 110, it was probably for a close loop, and I would continue to use it.

shaggydoo541

I had some plumbing gurus from garf come over to see my tank and the one recommendation they made was to use PVC. I had used flexible pipe and was disappointed by the flow. They advised this was due to the pipe itself and the fact I used too small diameter of piping. So also make sure to use appropriate sized pipe. As for diagrams, plumbing is not all that difficult. Try to make the most direct line from the place of the pump to the inlets/outlets of the tank. Use the 40g for a fuge.

For pumps I really like koralias and then mags for returns. I'm not crazy about the dart I got for a cl but I think that was because of my plumbing blunders. For lighting I recommend T5 all the way.

lighting i would do 2 SE 250 MH's

I was thinking about T5HO lighting. Anyone have any comparisons from a COST perspective about running 2 250w MH bulbs vs. 8 54w T5HO bulbs?

Stan

2 magnetic 250w ballast=$60

Mogul socket with reflector=$40

Bulbs=$100

VS

54*8 T5HO= about 400-500 dollars

Thanks. However, I was referring to ongoing utility costs for running each setup.

Stan

Thanks. However, I was referring to ongoing utility costs for running each setup.

Stan

The MH will definitely run you more $$$ in power. Eventually that will make-up for the purchase price difference. But this is a prop tank, yes? If that's the case you should probably go with the MH.

--bubbles

The MH will definitely run you more $$$ in power. Eventually that will make-up for the purchase price difference. But this is a prop tank, yes? If that's the case you should probably go with the MH.

--bubbles

Wrong.

I run 8 T-5's over my 75g SPS prop tank, and you can ask Weetie about my SPS. T-5's are alot better for growth on a 10k spectrum IME, and people who have no experience with T-5's dont know any better.

StanD, PM me and we can talk about it.

Archived