Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

thanks chris!

adinsxq

... for designating a place for all those "pic of the day" posts. and thank you gil and miss OC for all your help and support with the photography stuff. ilu.

euphylia

z_euphyllia2-047.jpg

galaxea

z_galaxea_newstuff3-064.jpg

discosoma

z_discosoma2-046.jpg

briareum

z_briariem5-002.jpg

rhodactis

z_rhodactis2-043.jpg

zoanthus

z_zoanthus_five-012.jpg

ricordea

z_ricordea_pins-054.jpg

plerogyra

z_plerogyra2-086.jpg

caulastrea

z_caulastrea_4-107.jpg

pachyclavularia

z_pachyclavularia_newstuff3-0.jpg

Wow, awsome. I want to print those out and make a poster! They look really good all together like that. I especially like the discosoma and briarium.

Do you have any larger versions of them?

hey thanks for all the comments, i really appreciate it.

most of the macros were taken at my LFS. the 'shroom (6/03) and galaxea (12/02), in a frag tank (8" deep) under NO lighting, the bubble and hammer (6/03) in a larger, show tank under 6x55w PC 50/50 mix of 10000k-w/7100k-b. the bubble was slightly in the shadows and very deep (2.5') which may be why there's a bluish cast. the hairy 'shroom and gsp from a third, smaller tank (20g) under 2x55 of the same mix of light. the yuma, candy, and briareum (yes, i'm making a distinction because it does not act or look like my other 5 "gsp" morphs) are currently in my own nano lit by 2x9w of 7100k-w/12000k-b realux PC.

image (194Kb)

that's how the files looked pre-cropped. each original image is 2048x1536 pixels and file size varies anywhere from 0.5mb to 1.5mb taken in jpeg format and dependent on what "quality" setting i use. i added some little boxes with photoshop so you can see where the crop comes from and in most cases cut the image length in half (~1000pi). from what i've learned about printing digital files, that's not going to quite cut it unless pehaps i start taking *.tiffs. i own one of sony's early generation "dye-sublimation" (what photo labs use) printers, but the dye-sublimation cartridges and and paper are far too expensive for or else i'd send some prints, korbin.

if anybody would like me to send them the full sized file or full sized crop, please PM me.

oh yeah, in case anyone is interested, the camera is a nikon coolpix 885. it's a nice little digicam, but it's taken me since i purchased it in november to finally learn how to adjust all the CMS settings so i get the effect i like without having to manipulate the images later (editing pictures increases artifacts and sacrifices detail - bad for prints). i like the contrast of stark black backgrounds (i.e. the cave behind the briareum) or out-of-focus pastel-backgrounds (i.e. gsp shot at an upward angle). only problem with the 885 is how it reacts to 03 (near UV) or low light conditions... makes everything pink. (which is why i took out my hellolights bulbs :P). 03 effect macro lenses are cool, but you don't really need one. proof? fant's clam shots (wow).

Coral Banded

y_coral-banded-jbj-131.jpg

Mnesarchus

It's so hip how you have just the genus name then the very sylishly cropped image. I feel like I should be drinking some really expensive coffee and driving a VW Westfalia :P

Brilliant pics friend, keep them coming. Shrooms look especially nice up close.

• 3 months later...

AWESOME photos!

Very good range of corals, I wish there was an article here that had a bunch of these types of photos for beginners. Sometimes it is easier to open a new window with photos than to go find a book and type at the same time!

Time to start on the sps adinsxq!

thanks everyone for the feedback :)

mrK, i'd gladly accept any sps frags...for the photo archives of course ;)

lro67, the LFS is "Total Fish" on Garvey Ave in Monterey Park. the address and phone are available on their website, www.flowerhorn888.com <- a project i'm currently working on an upgrade for.

a few photos from today:

Nemenzophyllia

foods-132.jpg

Fungia

foods-177.jpg

Trachyphyllia

foods-176.jpg

and as with any of these pictures, if you'd like the full size file, just let me know. hope you like the photos, bye!

Archived