Coral Vue Hydros

live sand....................yea

penguin87

hey! who recommends this live sand from petco:

http://www.petco.com/product_info.asp?fami...ct2=Gravel&ct3=

sorry, long link. i know it's probably more than buying dead substrate and seeding it, but i figure this is probably easier and more reliable, especially for someone with this much fish experience:

21/2 yrs. betta care, 1g tank

2 months southern asia fw 20g tank

3 days nano reef, minibow 7

just being informative, tell me what you think of the sand.

Orange Crush

there's lots of threads on this, do a search for bioactive or live sand.

IMO, not worth the $25. buy some dead sand and get a cup of live from a local reefer or a LFS you TRUST.

i agree that the seeding method is cheaper, but i want a good bio filter right off the bat, because right now, the only filter in my minibow is 8lbs. of live rock.

this plan might work for me, if the live sand will turn the dead sand live in a matter of weeks, in which case i might consider it, and if i do, i'm supposed to get dead aragonite sand/gravel right? that's the best isn't it?

Orange Crush

just noticed this tank is already set up...don't you think this would have been a better question to ask before setting up the tank?

also, the main point of LR, besides bio filtration, is all the great critters that come in it. there are not critters in that bag of sand.

you make a good point with that second comment, but i have seen several people set up a nano tank with just live rock and then adding the substrate a few days later. i did this because the lfs had no live sand on hand the day that i bought my supplies.

I used that exact product in my tank. I combined it with some Carib-Sea aragonite and got excellent results. My tank is a 15g high with about 30 lbs total of sand. I mixed roughly 50/50 with live and dry.

My tank was almost "instantly" cycled. I never really recorded any ammonia or nitrite peaks when I was testing. I tested for about 6 weeks and then finally gave up and decided the tank was cycled.

I got a good number of critters from my LR, I have a few bristle worms and other small critters (pods?)

Seems like a good product. :)

Archived