Coral Vue Hydros

Calcium Reactor

SteveHk

I am thinking about getting a calcium reactor for my RSM. Does anyone here use one or do you just dose. With my last tank I used a calcium reactor and my ph was rock solid. I am concerned with keeping SPS in a small tank with fluctuations in ph.

Also, I am thinking about getting a bigger Ca Reactor so I can just move it to my new tank at the end of the year (which will be about 300g). Can you use an oversized Reactor?

Thanks for any help…

I am thinking about getting a calcium reactor for my RSM. Does anyone here use one or do you just dose. With my last tank I used a calcium reactor and my ph was rock solid. I am concerned with keeping SPS in a small tank with fluctuations in ph.

Also, I am thinking about getting a bigger Ca Reactor so I can just move it to my new tank at the end of the year (which will be about 300g). Can you use an oversized Reactor?

Thanks for any help…

yes, you can use an oversized reactor. Generally bigger calcium reactors just mean a bigger media capacity. I have the largest GEO Ca reactor on my 100g and I plan on keeping it on my Finnex once it is set up. There are ways to remove the carbonic acid in the effluant before they change the pH in your tank. One way is to drip your effluant into your skimmer chamber so that it gets a large amount of air contact and looses its exess CO2. There are also commercial units that your effluant line can run through that help make it more basic. Heres an example of one that I know of:

http://www.marinedepot.com/ps_AquariumPage...nt_chamber.html

hope that helps.

you will not be disappointed with a GEO, I have the 624 (guess its not the biggest model) and it has worked trouble free for more than a year now.

Archived