SaltCritters.com

Is the Tempature in my tank ok?

JimmyZtank

I Have a 12g with a 1x96w coralife w/ the 2 built in fans. The temp in the tank is about 80..it sometimes will hit 81...Is this too HOT!!

I have a 100watt Ebo heater and I have that set to 75.

I looked at my tank today and I noticed that with the lights off in my tank that the temp was still at 81??

It is getting warmer in sunny san diego...should I drop the temp on the heater??? What should I do???

WIll better circulation help? because I only have one 600 RIO Powerhead should i add another? or will that end up producing more heat?

Someone please help!!!!! im affraid to loose anything in my tank..

Hey guys thanks for the quick replys....I was thinking it might have to do with my heater being 100w...what size heater do you guys run????

I only sound concerned becuase someone mentioned that 81 is ok but 82 is not...thats only a 1degree difference..yikes!!!

Im just trying to prevent anything from happening

a cheap solution to cooling your tank on those hot days is buying a fan and blowing it across the surface of the water. This causes a lot of evaporation, but it's a cheap solution that works! Wal-Mart has a whole bunch of cheap lil fans for under $10;) Good luck!

yep. i tried the $10 fan before investing in the $150 chiller and it works for me. my temp stays constant at 79F with the fan running. keep in mind however that the extra surface agitation from the fan will make the water evaportate more rapidly than normal. i do water top-offs every 2 days at least.

79-82 are all within reef boundaries. When I had a hood on the eclipse I would occasionally see temps as high as 83.5 or so (not that I liked to see that) and everything survived.

Right now my set temp is 80 degrees and with my new external lights I struggle to stay there (meaning my heater works a lot harder now that it ever has). All the corals and critters seem to love 80 though.

HTH!

i've been at 85 day / 80 night for the past four weeks. today was up to 89. digital temp probe too. all is well.

I am having a hell of a time keeping my temp the at the 78-82 temp. I woke this mornign is was on 74, went to bed last night it was like 81. I don tknow if its this thermal compact submersible heater, or what but I cant figure it out.

Archived