ReefCleaners.org

Question about Nitrites

newbiefishgirl

newbiefishgirl

My tank has been set up for a little over 2 months now. I have a ten gal with 11 lbs of LR, 170 pengunie 3 blue legs, 1 snail, 1 coral banded shrimp and 1 perc clown.

I have added everything very slowly and had great results. I have gained a wealth of info from this site and will continue to do so. And to top all that I have seen mt coral band molt for the first time over the weekend. It was awsome!! But when I tested the water this past Sunday I noticed that the nitrites rose to .25 What would cause this??? My ammonia is still zero, nitrates 0, ph 8.4 salinty 1.023

everything in the tank is eating... looks happy.. behavor is normal. Should I be concerned about this?

Thanks again guys!!

Did you remove the discarded exoskelton from the shrimp molt. It may have been decaying and could cause a nitrite peak?

Maybe time for partial water change if you did not have the opportunity to remove the molt.

Overall sounds like everything is going well! :happy:

newbiefishgirl

well... well... ok my family was coming to dinner that night so i left it in all day so they could see how cool it was and what happened then i took it out. kinda fell apart. :(

my bad.. i know

well i will test when I get home and see if its ok now.. i did a top off yesterday

do you think the small spike will hurt my inhabitis????

:( bad fish girl!!! bad!

are you talking about Nitrates or nitrites? Becouse if your nitrites went up then you should have noticed high Nitrates before that?

newbiefishgirl

I am talking about nitrites. And I have not seen a rise in nitrates at all to speak of. Its really hard to disfier between the color on the chart they give you. If they did rise it was never above .25

Orange Crush
Originally posted by Toooloud

Becouse if your nitrites went up then you should have noticed high Nitrates before that?

believe you are a little confused. nitrites are broken down and become nitrates, not the other way around.

Archived