Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

how much will an iceprobe cool a 5G tank?

cuteios

Hi guys,

I've had some luck lowering my tank temp from it's whopping 90F+ to about 85-86F with ice bottles. Unfortunately it's turningout to be a real hassle as I have to keep quite a few bottles in the freezer all the time and replace them every hour or so.

Anyway I've been considering asking my sister to pick me up an iceprobe, I'd do it myself if I were still living with them in California. So I've just been wondering exactly how much can the iceprobe cool a 5G tank anyway? Some concrete figures on performance would be very useful, as well as a push in the right direction for finding the cheapest offering online.

Thanks.

looks like ur standards peltier cpu cooler setup... dunno if i would buy one from them or not, probably overpriced

you can get the peltier units for like 4 bucks, and all you have to do is slap a fan on one side, and something to stick in the water on the other

I'm going for the airconditioning and fan method for my 26. I want to avoid using a chiller as the electric load might blow a fuse every time the chiller pops on.

26 gallon so the heat won't be as bad and the room is always frosty cold so it should work.

the microchiller, for the money, is the best piece of equipment I bought for my 7. works wonders.

Verge: I'm not that handy with the DIY jobs...it sounds interesting on how you could build a probe but i wouldn't begin to think of where I could get the parts other than the fan...I'm in the Philippines.

Crakeur: Well I'd go with the air conditioner too if the power rates around here were sane. As it is I'm already pushing $100 on the power bill per month...having an AC running 24/7 would hike that far beyond what I can afford...I'm poor.

southpaw23

Hey Cuteios...

Have no real info on the iceprobe for now but just wanted to find out if you managed to try out the cooler fan i was telling you about earlier. I'd agree with you on the water bottle deal, it's way too much of a pain and the temp drop is only temporary...... if the bottles are able to drop your temp by about 5F, then i'm sure the cooler fan should be able to do as much if not more but on a more consistent level.....

Well, just throwing in my two cents, if you're able to get the iceprobe and able to afford it, i'd say go for it. It will definately solve your heating problems but will do so at a much higher cost i suppose.

Good luck with that....i spent over a month or so trying to deal with the darn heating issue as well.....so i know where ya comin from....later man.....

Southpaw: thanks for the support dude. :) I'll let everyone know how it turns out. I didn't get to try the heatsink idea since I figured it wouldn't be much help as the room temp keeps getting too high.

Originally posted by cuteios

...having an AC running 24/7 would hike that far beyond what I can afford...I'm poor.

I'm poor also and running the AC does cost a lot when you have to cool down a 2 story house. So I got the IceProbe, which is a lot better than spending over $300 a month for 3-4months. I can coupe with the heat, my live-stock can't.

Archived