Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

powerhead and/or power filter

combskyle

from my readings in the aricles on this site it seems to read that you don't need a power filter in your nano...only a powerhead. is this the case?

i have a 20 gallon tank that i am setting up with a 2x65 watt pc light, 33 lbs. of live rock. i currently have a HOB power filter will this suffice for the powerhead, or do i need to get rid of it and get a powerhead?

also, would a purchase from ipsf.com of some live sand activator w/wondermud be beneficial for this size tank?

cheers

combskyle

Well let start with the Powehea Issue,

NO mechanical filtration should be used in any tnak, Other than a skimmer. Using anysort of Filter media creates Nitrates but building up waste and food.

If you can run atleast 1.5 Pounds of good live rock for every gallon of water, Then you are more than good.. the Bio-Filtration from the rocks is eough,

AS for the powerhead, For a reef you want to start with 10 times turnover, Meaning you want somting that is going to turn over 10 times your water volume.. no you have a 20 gallon so you want to be doing atleast 200PGH, Now i dont know what the HOB does? But if it does 200 or more.. great.. if not.. Toss in a small powerhead as well as the HOB with the filter media removed.

Archived