Pod Your Reef

My pep shrimp molted! ids this a good sign?

MrNoahCount

MrNoahCount

Hi,

I had posted yesterday about having added a peppermint shrimp and a camel shrimp to my tank after 4 weeks of cycling. The genenral consensus was that I had done this too soon and I would probably lose them even thought my water parameters looked really good. Well, my pep has molted! Is this a good sign?

Camel shrimp is still acting about the same...about half hiding. Also, should I get the shell out of the aquarium or leave it in there?

Thanks,

Michael

If you have bristleworms, you don't have to take the shell out. The bristleworms will consume it quickly.

And although generally a good sign, too much molting is a bad sign. Molting should not occur more frequently than every other week, or more depending on the species (molting frequencies vary).

coralreefengr

Whether or not you added something too soon depends entirely on the method you used to cycle. My tanks tend to cycle in about 3 weeks since I do not use any live rock, just live sand. I tend to add snails first. Most of the ones in my oldest tank have been in there since the beginning. I've added a few more since then.

CRE

Archived