Top Shelf Aquatics

Large Reef Bio Balls?

StevieT

Since my experience is only concentrated on Nanos, I figured someone with large reef experience could help.

I have a customer of mine having a company set up his reef tank:

Specs:

220 gallon display

80 gallon sump

310 or so lbs of live rock

fuge, and all the equipment you would expect in a $5000 setup that includes no livestock in that price.

Question is: Bio balls yes or no.

Most nanos do not run these since they raise nitrates and trap detritus, yet on a larger system things are different when you have a huge sump that is easy to access and flow is good.

Right now they are setting up his system with the balls, but is it a better idea to not run them as the display rock can provide all bio filtration?

Danke

I would say no on the bioballs. Personally my opinion would be that except for equipment wise most things stay the same. If you venture out to RC none of the really big boys (300+ gallons) use bioballs.

5000 for the setup?? wow, that might be getting slightly overcharged. I got quoted 550 for a 215 starphire Oceanic tank

Thanks, I'll see if he takes my advice. I hate leaving N-R to check RC.

$5000 includes set up and all the equipment, live rock, lighting, etc yet not one fish or coral! It is a custom made aquarium, a show piece in his new house. This guy put $100,000 in a home theater, 5k for the tank is a drop in the bucket. I looked at the bid and it seemed fair for the tank. I'll have to post some pics once it gets set up. He is using me for more and more advice since they are messing a lot up lately, yet I don't know much about large systems.

Archived