SaltCritters.com

first post, noob mistake ?

Verge

so i just set up my stuff, plopped in about 15lbs sand and 10lbs liverock in a 10 gallon.... and, i can't see anything... massive amounts of ultra-fine particles in the sand. I was told i didn't need to rinse the sand off or anything, so i take it this is normal? I have my PH churning away right now, but it's just stirring up more stuff, had the light on, but i turned it off since it really is ineffective for the most part. I was just wondering if this is normal, and if this will go away anytime soon. It's not that i'm impatient, i just don't want to mess up anything. Once this does settle, i take it i need to vaccum off my liverock cause it's already starting to get coated with sand

Hahahah. Sorry, it's funny 'cause it kind of happened to me too.

Is the sand, live sand? If so, don't rinse it. If it isn't then yeah, you should have rinsed it. Do you have any more seawater or can you make some more?

Turn the powerhead off for now and you will see that everything will settle in about an hour or so. Then you can put your hand in there, shake the live rock to get the sand off of it and reposition all the rocks. Of course, you'll need to turn the powerhead back on.

On the otherhand, you could start the whole thing all over again if you have enough water.

I would just let it run. The sand should settle down in a day or two. If you turn the powerhead off, you will re stir up everything when you turn it back on. The sand will find calm spots to settle with everything going.

harbingerofthefish

It's perfectly normal. Since you already have a storm going in there just let it go. The sand will settle. It might take a day or so but it won't hurt anything. As for vacuuming the LR, I wouldn't. A lot of unnessecary work IMO. Just go to the dollar store and pick up a turkey baster. After the sand has settled just shoot it off the rock. You'll still have spots where the sand is on the LR but after a while when you get inverts in there they will help move it off too.

i dropped a little bitty whisper filter in there and while, it's still made no noticable difference(i.e. visibility 2 inches) there is alot of sand accumulated in it... so i'm turning it off and dumping it every now and then

Archived