Innovative Marine Aquariums

Anyone have physh1's float switch?

jdsabin1

I got one of his auto-topoffs last week and I thought it was working right but now I am not so sure. I think it's user error too :P.

I have the float switch (with attached snail guard) in the tank. Can someone tell me how you know where it gets set in the tank as far as water level? In other words, there is a foam 'bobber' if you will, and right now in my tank, the top of the water level is about midway to this bobber, and the bobber is sitting against the top of the plastic piece that holds it on. I haven't seen it ever pump water in the tank though, and a few times now I have added water manually also. If I pull the float swicth nearly out of the water, I can get the pump to turn on so I think I just don't understand where the float switch is supposed to be sitting in the tank.

Any and all help appreciated. Here is a picture of my float switch right now:

float1.jpg

i've got two of them and actually i'm looking to get a third but i think he's been busy. (check you pm's cameron) ;)

i set the 'bobber' height about 3/4 of the way so that the desired level is pretty much at 3/4 of the traverse of the 'bobber' (i.e. not the very top). this is because the switch doesn't immediately come on, there needs to be a slight travel downwards to trigger the switch (normal). i didn't want a big traverse so that the reaction time of the top-off isn't delayed that much, i.e. not a big salinity swing.

any evaporation results in the bobber being lowered and triggering the pump. they're very good devices imo but mine are older models w/o the snail guard.

Archived