Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Need opinions on this cleanup crew for my new 20

junglejim83

junglejim83

My tank just finished its cycle and there is and explosion of diatoms and other algea is starting to grow. I ordered the uncured lalo rock from liveaquaria.com. There was lots of die off through the 5 week cycle but the shapes are awsome and my tanks is overflowing with pods. Anyway, I have a 20g w/2-3*55w pc and 40 lb of rock (specs below).

Here is the crew I plan on ordering. recomend changes if you feel they're needed.

10-15 blueleg hermits(not sure on these)

5 Nassarius snails

5 Astrea snails

10 Margarita snails (i hear these little guys are work horses)

MAYBE 1 lettuce nudibranch- do you think if this thing crawls across my gravity-fed overflow I'm introuble(there is the typical intake filter/cover on it) or do you think this would be a healthy addition to my tank. These are a non toxic species, do you think my tanks would be able to support this?

Jim

I wish I never bought my hermits. They trample corals like zoos, and they fight and try to kill snails. One was even trying to beat up my new $8 conch, which made me very, very angry . . .

Just something to think about.

i have blue and red hermits, blues are more active, but none harm the corals, although they do walk over them just to get from A to B, i tried training'em to go round, they don't pay the slightest bit of attention....tuh!

they're fine!

cheers

lettuce nudibranch

A tank that small, I would stay away from these, Or any sort of Slugs, cucumers so on.. Just becouse mainly the Nudibranchs will feed off the Algaes in the tank ( Hairy, and nucience) but in a tank that small it will be gone very fast and once that is done.. it will die.. So really i would stay away..

as for the rest, Looks good.. Maybe add in a Surpent star for looks.. they are great scavengers.. for a smaller tank they are great incase of a fish die off.. he will eat it before it hurts your tank..

I've heard that margarita snails have a poor survival record. And I know astreas are worthless lumps of flesh. I would go with tiger trochus snails for film algae if you can get them - they're the cadillac of snails. And a small army of tiny hermits. Blue legs and red legs.

I don't think lettuce nudis are all they're cracked up to be. Mine didn't make a dent in my hair algae.

I have read that electric blue hermits are good at eating hair algae.

Archived