Innovative Marine Aquariums

Lawnmower Blenny?

moorediddy

I have read almost all of the posts regarding Lawnmower Blennies, but would like to poll all of those who have kept one, or who currently keep one.

I have a 15G Long that just finished cycling. It has 4 blue-legged hermits and 2 astra, 1 margarita and 1 bumble-bee. It is doing well, and the clean-up crew it keeping the algea down. I would like to add a Lawnmower, but have heard mixed things about their willingness to eat prepared food. Is it possible to feed them with a dropper? Or do they just REFUSE to eat non-natural stuff? I'd love to have one, but between my clean-up crew and him, I don't know if he'll find enough algea to eat.

-Moore

It's a crap shoot. Louie, our lawnmower blenny eats any food I throw in the tank right along with the other fish. He also kisses the glass all day eating algae and continues to be one dumb, fat and happy muppet.

If you do get one, you'll love them. They have a wonderful personality.

Good luck!

louie2.jpg

maroonclown

I just got one a week ago, and the are somtimes imposible to find in your tank, especially mine, because I grow softcoral and macro algae. If you have any agressive fish, don't worry. They will not be bullied, trust me. My marroon clown tries to bully it, but the blenny slaps him in the face with his tail or bites him. Trust me, they leave every fish alone until provoked. They are cute little S.O.B.s, and after you have them for a while, you can't imagine the tank without them.

I've got a LM Blenny thats just great...he likes to "mouth" the glass all day...but he also munches down on Formula 1 and Nori.

• 2 weeks later...

Dunno on the macro issue..but apparently I got a good lawnmower..because mine will eat damn near anything...it likes to eat the Formula 1 with the rest of the fish along with the nori I put in for the tang....

• 2 weeks later...

I also have a Lawnmower and he eats Nori, Spirulina and occasionally the other food. You can tell if he is hungry just look for the pot belly.

• 3 weeks later...

I've had mine for a few weeks now, and he is fat! My tank developed a huge algae problem almost as soon as I added the new lights. He was happy about that, and eats every miniute of the day, plus he and the clown attack the frozen Brine shrimp cubes I feed them. The only way that blenny will die is his stomach will explode. Does anyone know if any of those weight loss centers will help a very fat lawnmower blenny shed some girth?

Archived