Top Shelf Aquatics

13 watts enough in a 5 gal hex?

Wasabi

I have an Eclipse 5 gallon hex and two 13 watt pc retros. I'm thinking of only mounting one in the hood and sticking to low light stuff to start out with. Will 13 watts(10K/blue combo) be sufficient for some corals/mushrooms? I may still add the other lamp later but for now, I'd like to keep it simple. If I do the one lamp, I can still use the Eclipse filter pump(no media/maybe purigen) to help with circulation with my Microjet 320. Also, I'm worried about heat and evaporation with 2 lamps. Later when I add the other lamp, I can also install a fan as well but again, for now, I'd like to keep it simple. Thanks for any input,

Scott

I think that would be fine. You might enconter the problem of the tank being too deap for the 13 watt PC. If you can fit 2 in why not do it at once. You might need to get a small for for 26 watts of light. Evap. will be fine with 2. I have 3x13watts on my 6 gallon and a gallon of water lasts me a little over a week.

Nooo I would put them both in. With 26 watts of PC you will have happy corals be it low light or light loving ( Not sps or brains though and provided you have the right spectrum) Not to mention they wil grow fatser. 1 13 watt pc is prety dim over a 5g tank. Trust me install them both. :)

Thanks guys,

I think I'll be OK on waterflow so I won't need the Eclipse pump and evaporation/heat doesn't sound like it will be a major issue. I'll definitely put both in now. Thanks again,

Scott

Archived