inTank Media Baskets

Has anyone ever seen a floating reef?

LITTLEFISHEE

LITTLEFISHEE

Has anyone ever seen a floating reef tank? I've heard of them, and I'd like to set one up in my 55 gallon, but I'm confused on the construction. The book I read explained that you either hang the rock from your ceiling, or use acrylic rods/cylinders drilled into acrylic tiles for supporting the reef. I have no desire to suspend anything from my ceiling other than a stripper pole.

in Anthony Calfo's coral propagation book he talks about constructing them.... ill go get mine and read up on it later.....

the reefs of asgard! B) (a mythical floating island kingdom of scandinavian gods, for you non-comic book fans)

try a couple of 2x4's across the narrow of the top of the tank. drop fishing lines to loop a relatively flat LR. don't use tonga even though it's flat-flat imo. the quantity of the braces and lines depends upon the LR and the system, overdo the supports imo. it's a balance between braces and not blocking light tho.

some things to be careful of: the structural integrity of the LR, support/holding lines (loop twice as many lines as you think you need), and in case of slippage i would still have some sand on the bottom (here you can have a msb or dsb).

as long as you keep the lines clean they'll kinda look like it's floating. (not moving though, i.e. not moving from any current) it should hang solidly and motionless.

sorry i have no pics but it's something i kicked around a couple of years back. maybe next project : but i'm thinking a 29g for a nano would be a pretty good format (tall & long, relatively speaking). the key to it was the shape of the LR imo. the right piece sets it all, otherwise it looks like some rocks you hung in the water. (which could be fine too, e.g. calfo's experiment and i think nilsen ran something similar too)

me=confused yet interested. how would you hag your lighting if u have to hang other stuff over he tank? im very confused

LITTLEFISHEE

I read about it in BCOP1 by Anthony Calfo.

He suggested 2 different methods, suspend it from the ceiling or prop it up with acrylic or something. Next month I'm setting up my 55 gallon again. I think I'll try the acrylic method.

I don't have a picture, but my idea is to use 2-3 inch thick acrylic rods with an acrylic tile attached to the top (to hold the rocks) and the bottom (under the dsb for support). I will create 3 of these "platforms" and support the rock with aqua stik and cable ties.

My no. 1 question is, the acrylic needs to be drilled together, glue will not last more than 2 years, I was thinking about surgical steel screws. Does anyone know where I can get them? I will probably need 60 or so.

Im with NJLuke on this one, ??? WTF? I dont understand what the hell you all are talking about, is the tank hanging from the ceiling? wouldnt that be too heavy? forgive my stupidity if this is something more simple, i just dont understand

for calfo's method, i think the reasoning was better growth. it wasn't meant to be for show so much as for pure mariculturing (improved) so you don't necessarily have to have a sandbed but can get away with a reflective bare bottom. this allows the acros (i think that was his example) to not only grow upwards (toward the light) but in all three axis.

for the method i described, it's purely an aesthetic issue (experimental in my case). we're all trying to squeeze a part of the ocean into a bucket of water so that's part of the 'why' (i.e. just because). it's just another aesthetic option. it's basically a exaggerated overhang look. (altho the 'asgard' look is kewl!)

functionally, it avoids any possible dead spots along the bottom of the rock. this also allows 100% of the surface of the LR to be used for viewing and macrofauna growth. for a nano it gives an overhang option for non-photo corals without necessitating a huge rock (still need height tho imo, i.e. 15H or 20XH). you really need about 5"+ clearance to see below and 'skylights' thru the LR add to the effect.

btw the wood braces would be laying front to back on top of the tank frame much like a center brace in larger tanks. the drawback is the light blockage. mh's could be placed where braces weren't but you sacrifice with fluorescents.

Or you could bolt fishing line to each individual rock and put on the best puppet show ever. It would be like finding nemo all over again.

-Luke

Wish you guys would give me a pic (3rd time is a charm...yes i have asked 3 times.)

you'll get no pics from me. heck, i didn't even start posting on forums until early last year let alone have a digicam. i knew of the forums but never figured on posting in one until highspeed came along and lo and behold i had time to really surf (and waste worktime posting X) ).

btw calfo has a diagram of his 'chandelier' method in his book.

for my next tank i'll do the 'asgard reef' just for you. i try a new project almost every year. lately, it's been smaller and smaller but last year i've been changing to explore different looks now. i couldn't escape from the fact that smaller meant more work (i.e. wc's), which is abhorrent to my nature. :P "set'em up and leave 'em be" for me.

I never tried a suspended reef structur, it may have advantage when it comes needs for cleaning (lift the reef clens the bare tank and put the reef back into the tank),

I only tried to suspend fragment of acropora, they growed beautifully (ball shaped!), so I can guess there are advantages also in water circulation.

Does anyone else besides me feel even a little bit sorry for NJLUKE? I mean, I think a pic would be helpful in understanding what the heck people are talking about...?

Archived