Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Cleanup crew for a 5 gallon?

Wasabi

I'm putting together my 5 gal hex nano and am wondering what's a good clean up crew? How's this sound:

2-3 blue leg hermits

2-3 Hawaii Zebras crabs

2-3 Bumble Bee snails

2-3 Tiger Cowries

Any small starfish that I could add? I don't want to overload it and I'd like more attractive species if I can since I'm limited on how much I can put in. The only other inhabitants will be a fire shrimp and a percula clown. I'm getting an 8-10lb chunk of TBS LR to build a tower shape and I have 26 pc watts to light it as well. Thanks for any advice,

Scott

Maybe a few Nasarius snails would be a good alternative to the starfish. Starfish are generally used as sand sifters ( in nano's ) and Nasarius snails are pretty good sand sifters.

A few Astrea snails are good for glass and LR grazing.

Other wise looks like a good "janitor" mix.

;)

Thanks for the reply Sammy,

How much do these guys add to the bioload? After reading some, I'm wondering if I have too many of each? I'd like to go with a shallow bed(CaribSea sugar-sized/Oolitic Select).

Scott

The rule of thumb is somewhere around 1 hermit crab for every 3-5 gallons and 1 snail for every 1-2 gallons. Going by this about 3 hermits and 4-5 snails should do the trick in a 5g tank.

Shouldn't tap out your bioload if you stay consistent on the water changes. I have a 15 gallon with about 8 crabs, 12 snails, 2 shrimp, 2 fish and various corals. I change my water about every ten days on the 10th, 20th and 30th of each month. This seems to keep the water parameters under control. :happy:

Archived