inTank Media Baskets

clams

cjm033

hey i went to the beach today and was diving to the bottom and picking rocks n stuff up when i came up with a clam in my hand i kept on diving and finding these clams in the sand kinda semi-barried and some were completely barried but anyway i came home with a bucket full of em about 50 clams they have brown,white,grey, and black colored stripe looking things on em horizontally they go from about  {------}<this size to about  {--------------------------}<this size the water there was brackish i know because the beach was off of chesepeak bay and i tested the water i brought the clams back in with my hydrometer i left them in the bucket i had them in at the beach because i wasnt sure what they are ill probly set a tank up tomorrow does anyone know what these clams are?,Chris:)

The clams are tidal animals. they need the constant wash of the tide to sustain there lives. they will die in your tank.

i put them in a rubbermaid bin about 4 hours ago they look good so far what can i do so they have the tidal effect ? could i use a powerhead? when i put my powerhead in it blew the sand everywhere and foggeds up the water i looked at em after i got back from the movies today (saw mr deeds) and they were all out of their shells and some were even moving around im gonna get them a bigger rubbermaid container soon hopefully what do they eat? hubu they are not pure salt so i dont think they are the kind you find on lr i found them at about 5-6 ft of water if anyone has any info on the care of these mollusc please help me and if you can id them that woud help too thanks for your help,Chris:D

if you dont know what they are ,or what their requirments are why did you take them from the water in the first place?What do you hope to gain with a bucket full of clams .you should have left tham alone...........:confused:

where do U live? The only calms that burry themselves like that are serious filter feaders and cant be kept in the tank at home. Id take them to the beach and toss them in the air, the gulls will LOVE the meal.

Dude, you should have left them where they are.

And you got 50 of them too!

Most likely they will die. Such filter feeders require nutrients that are in sea water. Our tanks water doesnt have these nutrients. And thus they will all most likely die.

You could have just got one or two if you were curious about them, but not 50.

Well, try and return most of them where you found them.

Keep one of two if you are curious about them.

dave i live in virginia and the water there is brackish im positive about that im gonaa keep 3 for my brackish tank i have setup and return the rest to where i got them,Chris:D

reef hugger

but they are still gonna die. even if you only keep three. they are very demanding filter feeders. your brackish tank won't be able to keep even one of them alive. return them and enjoy them when you go diving. or like dave said, let gulls have an easy meal. ;)

you also might want to check your states laws about collecting shellfish. it has to be the right season and you might have to have a permit to collect them. paying a couple hundred dollar fine is not so easy when your 13.

ok im not that dumb to take stuff without finding out f its illegal i asked one of the officers at the beach if i could keep em and he said it was fine and fyi im 14 i didnt spend an extra year alive to be called a 13 yr old im 14 14 14 get in ur fn head anyway ill keep the three i kept and take good care of them dont start on me or i will get defensive joshnemily,Chris:D

reef hugger

woah there turbo, so your 14, sorry. i don't care if you are 35, they are still gonna die.

btw, i don't want to see you get backed in to a corner and end up posting obsenities and useless threats toward me or anybody else for that matter. it would be a waste of your time that could be better spent somewhere else.

Archived