Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Kookie_guy's BC29 journal

kookie_guy

Looking good!!

Really like the shot with the clownfish and the anemone!! In the videos they look like there a happy couple lol

How long is the tang going to be staying in the tank? They should be in a tank of no less than 90 gallons??

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply
How long is the tang going to be staying in the tank? They should be in a tank of no less than 90 gallons??

hehe. I was waiting to see how long it took for someone to jump on the tang. He'll be in there for about 6-8 months. Then I'm moving into my new place and setting up a much larger tank. Only reason I didn't go with the larger tank right away was cuz of the fact I knew I'm moving, so a small tank is easier to move than a large one. When I move, the small one will stay at my mom's place while my big one get's fully cycled. Then all the happy fishies are getting transferred, and the 29G becomes a seahorse tank for my fiancee. Plus I've seen tangs in smaller thanks for longer periods of time at local fish stores. I realize it's not a good excuse, but still.

ok. so when I put em all in the tank, the regular star fish went on the glass, this morning it's moved about 6 inches, but still on the glass. The brittle star wrapped around a rock. This morning, after about 15 mins of looking, I found it in one of the small crevices of the rock. The shrimp went to a hiding spot, still there this morning. The tang, when it went it, quickly hid, didn't really wanna swim around. Few times it went by the clowns in the anemone, hehe, man, you should have seen the clown freaking out! But nothing happened. At night when the lights went off I saw it (the tang) getting familiar with the tank under the moon lights. This morning, swimming around like an idiot around the tank and through openings in the cave. Still darts off when you move close to the tank, but at least it's familiar with the surroundings.

Now for pics. The brittle star can't really be seen, so no pic of it. The shrimp is blurred because it keeps moving, and the tang, ya good luck, so I had to use the flash to get a decent shot. The regular star fish is easy to photograph. hehe.

IMG_3744.jpg

IMG_3751.jpg

IMG_3742.jpg

Glad to hear that all the new inhabitants appear to be happy in the new home. I really like that pic of the starfish....if the powerhead wasn't in the back you would think you were looking at it in the ocean. Very cool.

If you haven't done so already, you will see how much the shrimps like to eat. I know that when I put pellets in the water mind go crazy over it. Cool critters for sure.

Sorry if i sound patronising, i was not flaming honest :P

If the upgrade thread turns out to be as good as this then that will be great!! Really enjoyed this thread and great tank ;)

thanks for the comments. I owe a lot of what's been done to my cube to this board, tonnes of help.

As far as the new tank, it's amazing how much I've learned over the last few months in terms of setup and equipment. The big tank will be about 120G. I'll be building the electronics and everything myself. I'll probably run the whole thing off a PLC (programmable logic controller) as that's what I do for a living. Anyhoo, when that gets kicked off, I'll be sure to post. For now, just the 29G.

The fromia star prolly won't move for a couple of days, so don't be surprised about that. After a week though, if he hasn't moved, move him yourself...sometimes they just need a jump start. Also, they don't last long. Expect maybe a year out of him. No one knows what they eat, so they tend to waste away. I just lost mine, so I know how it feels.

That's a great brittle star! And good thread!

The fromia star prolly won't move for a couple of days, so don't be surprised about that. After a week though, if he hasn't moved, move him yourself...sometimes they just need a jump start. Also, they don't last long. Expect maybe a year out of him. No one knows what they eat, so they tend to waste away. I just lost mine, so I know how it feels.

That's a great brittle star! And good thread!

the good thing is at least now I know what kind of star it is. The crappy part is that it doesn't last long. It moved quite a bit over night. And moving pretty well today, so hopefully no jump start needed.

On a side note, the tang is getting more and more used to the tank and me walking by. No longer darts away into his little cave as soon as there is movement.

Watch the fish that you purchase from big als ! (Best one that I have found in Kennedy road ) I quarintine everything from them... A friend of mine sells inverts and coral at a fraction the costs of Big Als he is in Ajax. I purchase most of my livestock through him and have saved lots of $$$$.

What are you keeping in that BC29 ?

2 Gobies

2 Clowns

1 Yellow Tang

1 BTA

1 Fromia

1 Brittle

Watch the fish that you purchase from big als ! (Best one that I have found in Kennedy road ) I quarintine everything from them... A friend of mine sells inverts and coral at a fraction the costs of Big Als he is in Ajax. I purchase most of my livestock through him and have saved lots of $$$$.

What are you keeping in that BC29 ?

2 Gobies

2 Clowns

1 Yellow Tang

1 BTA

1 Fromia

1 Brittle

hey,

ya that's what I have for the time being. Along with 2 emerald crabs, bunch of snails, and 5 hermits. You talking about fragalot/american fish breeders? I deal with the newmarket big als. The 2 guys I deal with there do know a lot, and they are the only 2 I would trust for info.

Yea, gobies just go MIA, for some reason they just dissapear- back chambers is where they usually go though, or among LR.

it's not in the back for sure. I've torn everything out of the back and he's not in there. Hopefully he's just hiding. :(

Its not so much the guys you have to worry about. Its how they get there and where they come from... The Newmarket Big Als is not part of the franchise. Its owned by this tool named Morry, real cheep bastard. Same as the Oshawa location...

I am talking about Maple Reef Corals... In Ajax Salem @ 401 area.

Its not so much the guys you have to worry about. Its how they get there and where they come from... The Newmarket Big Als is not part of the franchise. Its owned by this tool named Morry, real cheep bastard. Same as the Oshawa location...

I am talking about Maple Reef Corals... In Ajax Salem @ 401 area.

sweet. I'll check them out. He owns the barrie and vaughan location as well. I'll never shop at the Vaughan store. Last time I was there, a lot of their fish in the display tanks were either dead or dying. One tank had 4 dead yellow tangs in it, while kids were walking around to see the fish. Imagine being a 4 year old and you see 4 dead yellow tangs with all the others picking at them. That's just not right.

Like I said, the 2 guys at the Newmarket location are the only ones I'd ever take advice from. If there are times I'm better off going somewhere else to get something, they'll always tell me.

Have you been able to locate the goby or is it still MIA? If it's not in the back chambers and you don't spot any fish sticks on the floor around the tank (unless you have a cat) then it is in there. I would give it at least a good week before starting to worry about it. I know that after I moved my tank my firefish buried himself into the sand for about 3-4 days before I was able to spot him out and about. They just get skiddish like that sometimes.

Still no goby. Starting to think he's gone for good.

On another note, I've added a cleaner wrasse( too hard to get pics of the guy, he's crazy!) and I've also started adding color to the tank.

PICT1628.jpg

PICT1634.jpg

This will give you an idea of where abouts they are in the tank.

PICT1636.jpg

PICT1637.jpg

PICT1635.jpg

Some more pics of the corals I have going. Recent additions include a nice leather (which just started to bloom this morning after 6 days), some ricordea mushrooms (neon green with a super neon green mouth), some regular green and brown mushrooms (nice green/blue hue to them).

PICT1660.jpg

PICT1656.jpg

PICT1658.jpg

PICT1655.jpg

PICT1659.jpg

Wow what a gorgeous tank! Thumbs up.

Im seriously considering a cube in the future after college. Im wondering where you got this Biocube 29? Im in Guelph Ontario. Also, how much did you get it for?

I see you got it from ebay, but you also mentioned it was shattered. So did you get this new one locally? or still from an ebay seller?

Thanks for the help

Flick :)

Wow what a gorgeous tank! Thumbs up.

Im seriously considering a cube in the future after college. Im wondering where you got this Biocube 29? Im in Guelph Ontario. Also, how much did you get it for?

I see you got it from ebay, but you also mentioned it was shattered. So did you get this new one locally? or still from an ebay seller?

Thanks for the help

Flick :)

Initially I got it from petsolutions.com. Buying it locally is a rip off, as they are $400 plus taxes. Petsolutions had them for $260, which was a great deal, especially since at the time the canadian dollar was at like, $1.10. hehe. Oh yeah, and free shipping. Anyhoo, I didn't want to ship it to my house since shipping was going to be crazy. I have a shipping address just over the border where I ship big ticket items, then drive down to pick them up. So the first one arrived busted to hell. Petsolutions was great, and they took care of everything. Only crappy part, I had to drive down again to go get the replacement. As this was happening, I scored the 150 watt hood from a member on here for $250 shipped! So I didn't need the complete tank anymore, just all the guts, with no hood. So I got a full refund from petsolutions before they shipped the replacement at no charge. Instantly went to nanotuners where they sell just the tanks with no hoods, and scored one for $130 USD shipped, and they ship FedEX, which is actually reliable, not like UPS. So the tank got there in one piece, and all was good. I got the tank and 150 watt HQI hood for a total of $380 USD. So a pimped out system for less than the cost of a stock one locally.

Anyhoo, that's the story, hope you are still awake. If you want details about the shipping address just over the border, throw me a PM, and I'll give you all the details. It's totally legit, nothing illegal or anything like that.

cheers. :D

Oh awesome thanks so m uch for the site and info as to why you got such good deal(s)!

The BC29 is $269.99 currently on petsolutions.com, which is an awesome deal! I will see what happens in the future, and will keep this site in mind if I remember it lol. Thanks agian!

Flick

• 3 weeks later...

It's been a while, so I figured I'd update....

Got some new coral, again, can't remember the name of it (I can never remember the names). Ummm, the polyps that were with the frilly mushroom have since been broken off with the rock and moved. The mushroom and polyps were both in the way of the other spreading. Now they both get huge since they have the room.

My cleaner wrasse jumped on me. Thankfully he decided to jump into the rear chambers, not out the front lid.

My polyps are multiplying like mad. RBTA is nice and strong, still in the back.

Both clowns hang out in the RBTA now. So the female no longer chases the male out. At night, he still prefers to sleep by the koralia while she stays in the RBTA.

I think that's about it. Here are a couple quick pics. Check out the frilly mushroom right after I gave it some mysis. Then shortly after he was open again.

PICT1676.jpg

These are new, they are normally all fully inflated and beautiful. I was messing in the tank so they sucked in a bit.

PICT1680.jpg

PICT1682.jpg

PICT1684.jpg

PICT1675.jpg

PICT1683.jpg

PICT1679.jpg

Looking good....glad to hear that everything is still doing great in your tank. Glad to hear that although the cleaner jumped, it made the wise choice of jumping to the rear and not the side or front :)

Everything looks really nice and healthy and the tank looks really clean. Great job.

Archived